S200 or Olympus D370

Dobler

Reaction score
I am going to build a digital system and am going to use Brians chip but can't decide on a camera.  Is the S200 better for the price difference.  I see with the D370 that it is recommended to use the Brian's 35mm chip, why?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Ok,  let's see if I educated myself properly on this before I started my camera.  

Price difference-- about $200.

You would use Brian's chip with either camera.  Brian would need to know which camera you were using though because the refresh rate is different.  Actually,  the olympus needs a refresh rate something like every 2-2.5 hrs (corrected) and with the canon, once motion is detected, a pulse is sent to turn the camera on, take a picture, the back off.  This makes the canon batteries last.  The olympus is seeing a week with the same batteries though too.

Night pics are better with the canon.  Better flash and you can set the ISO rating to 400.

This is how I understand it to work at this time.  Subject to be corrected.

ToddP

(Edited by ToddP at 8:58 am on June 18, 2002)

JoelM

Reaction score
ToddP - which camera is easier to modify?

Dobler - what part of Ohio are you from???

Joel

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Olympus is a piece of cake. By the way, you need a 2 to 2.5 hr refresh. The cam turns off after 4.

JoelM

Reaction score
how does the picture quality compare between the two camera's?

I just saw some pictures posted here on the forum from the s200 out to about 60 feet.
How does the d370 do at night???

Joel

Dbworld

Reaction score
S200 has a better flash and higher resolution pics.  

Olympus is faster on the trail, batteries last a comparitively long time and is scary-easy to modify.  7 hour refresh is way too long.   Need less than 4.  2.5 works well for me.

Olympus also automaticaly changes the iso settings.  No manual settings that i can find. You can see these settings using the supplied software.

Canon needs Brian's DIGITAL chip, use the 35mm chip for the Olympus with no 38 count feature and a 2.5 hr refresh.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
The canon flash will reach beyond the capability of the Olympus. The trade off is that the Olympus will shoot faster and stands less liklyhood of missing the intended target

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
&%$@,  I was wrong on a couple of things.  That rarely happens.:shoot-aqua:

coyotebandit

Reaction score
In my opinion,
For the price difference you could build two Olympus digital cams for 1 S200. So it comes down to quality over quantity. As for picture qualitly I believe the S200 is a 2 megapixel camera and the D-370 is a 1.2 0r 1.3 depends on what documentation you read. With daytime pictures, you probably won't notice a big difference, even though the Canon is a better made camera. Without an external flash, the Olympus is only going to give you a good picture out to about 20 feet depending on conditions. The D-370 is a real easy mod, easier than the OWL PF, and only requires a 3 wire setup. My theory is that if the battery lasts long enough to fill the flash card, that's long enough. Not sure how long my batteries last, but I know it's less than a week. I don't know how long people are getting with the S200. You can always move the cam closer to the trail to make up for the weak flash, but you can't always get your ~$200+ back :smile-big-blue:

Hope this helps.

CB

Dbworld

Reaction score
Todd...I know how you feel.   I thought I was wrong once.  Was a painful experience.:shocked-big-eyes:

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Just a quick note for ya'll to consider.

The S200 is different than the S100 or S110 in that no matter how big the Compact Flash card it still powers up for a picture in the same amount of time.  It seemed to be just less than 3 seconds.  Still not good enough on a trial but better than the older models.

The low light pictures without flash were great.  I was amazed.

I will have to purchase one for my self but the budget gets tight when the hunting leases are due.

Top Bottom