Sabots

Glass eye

Reaction score
I have been lubing my sabots with bore butter to get them seated easier and going through this forum I read "never lube the sabots" Please explain?

RandyWakeman

Reaction score
"Bore Butter" is rendered animal fat and wax-- and has no place in muzzleloading bore, as far as I'm concerned.

Sabots have a very low coefficient of friction, and are "self-lubricating." No road kill, etc., is recommended to be used with them.

An overly tight sabot just means you have not selected the correct sabot for your muzzleloader's bore-- which can range from .497 - .506 in or so and be called a "Fifty Caliber."

Glass eye

Reaction score
Thanks Randy for the reply
I have read several times on the net NOT to lube the sabots, but no one has said what the effects are, they just say don't do it. I won't do it anymore but I'd still like to know WHY!

RandyWakeman

Reaction score
The "why" is that it is unnecessary, and detrimental to accuracy.

Lubing a sabot will deposit the bulk of the bore butter (bore syrup in summer, bore rock in winter) near the muzzle of your bore. It cannot give you consistent bore condition throughout your barrel's length.

Glass eye

Reaction score
Thanks again Randy
I'm a newbie to muzzleloading and appreciate your answering my elementary questions.

Top Bottom