Sacramento to Bridgeport

sean english

Driving north on 395 from chasing ptarmigan, I was once again reminded what a great area (Bridgeport-Topaz Lake area) it can be to chase chukars. Coleville/Walker area.
Anyone ever hunted that area? it just seemed to have everything you need: water, cover, etc.
Anything you can share is appreciated. And if you live in Sacramento area and like to join me to explore this area, let me know.

Stevehazard

Have you ever actually seen chukars up around those areas? The mountains between Topaz and Sinkard Valley look like the type of place they would be I've just never been sure if they actually were or not. I've not hunted the area. So far I've done some preliminary road exploring up over 89 and up to the Antelope Pack Station. Seen mountain quail up there as far as game birds go. Bunch of old places in those areas I'm wanting to check out at some point. I did find two more guzzlers east of the Walker River just now so I added those to my collection.

I'm up in Kingsbury NV (Tahoe) for a bit longer so if you wanted to explore those areas I'd probably be able to join you.

sean english

Sounds good. lets get in touch. Kingsbury is near Genoa.We spent a few days in Genoa at a resort this past summer. Great place. You're lucky to live there.
Just looked up Antelope pack station.Seems like a good place to scout for them. There is a road that can get me there from 89. The only problem is that that pass closes in winter and my commute gets much longer. Might give it a shot early in the season. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Stevehazard

I wish I lived here. I've been up here trying to do some work on a home my mother has. It's nice up here so I sneak up if and when I can.

The road that goes though Sinkard Valley (Golden Gate Rd) was closed up towards that curve where it breaks off from going up to the pack station. And from the sat image and somebodies truck parked by the gate it looks like it is closed up by 89 also. I do know it is some wildlife area in there so I'm assuming they don't want vehicles in there. Which sucks looks like a cool road back there. Once there is snow on the ground I probably would not go up Golden Gate Rd on the Walker side past the old stamp mill. It is very steep past the old mine buildings and mill.

sean english

You know, after you described it, I looked it up. I have been on that road and you're right. After driving on that dirt road for about maybe 1/4 mile, there a gate and barriers to keep vehicles out. One can however park there and hunt that valley, I believe. It's a valley and one might find game there. It's a beautiful place though.

sean english

Steve
Where are you at these days? I was in Genoa again today with family. Love Carson Valley. Cant wait to explore more.

Stevehazard

I'm going back up there in a few days to finish some work. Going to try a few different places for grouse. Once again I was a day late on deciding to get a D5 tag, even had a spot in mind where I had seen good bucks.

castone001

Sean! good to see your still up and about. still roosting up in NCAL? Hope to get a chance and chase some birds around with ya this season.

sean english

And folks if you’re in Sacramento area I’m still looking for someone to explore the high desert with. Bridgeport and further up. There’s everything to hunt.

Top Bottom