Sad Day

hntndux

Reaction score
I see several people from the old board are here and I just wanted to release some of my pain in hopes of easing it.  I came home last night and my youngest lag was at the kennel gate and I could tell something was wrong so I went over to the gate only to find my oldest lab (11) dead in her dog house.  I'm glad she went fast, but the thing that hurts the most is that she was never sick and was acting totally normal the night before so I kind of feel short changed.  I buried her in the back yard and I tell you, it was much harder to fill than to dig.  I put a decoy in with her and I know this may sound goofy, but as I finished covering the hole a flight of honkers flew directly over us.  I just looked up into the sky and said "Thank you".  Gotta go now, I'm starting to get teary eyed at work...thanks for reading

Jay

Reaction score
Damn that hurts!

My older lab is 12 and the only sounds he can hear are gunshots. Every morning when I go out to feed the dogs I have to check to see if the old guy's just sleeping or if something worse has happened.

Some things in life really stink.  

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Brother I feel your pain, I came home for years ago to find my 8 yr old chocalate struggling to walk, he had a storke,  I had to put him down, the worst day of my life.  Everytime I here of some one losing there hunting dog it brings out all of those old feelings.  Oh well, you'll never get completely over it and most of us who have been blessed by being the owner of a great hunting dog never do.  Good Luck.

J

JC

I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost both my Springers last year. My oldest one I had to put down. My other one was the younger of the two (but not young at 12). We came home one day and went out and called her, she didn't come. I found her curled up in one of her favorite spots to sun herself and she was gone. All those great years with two great dogs are fondly remembered, but it still hurts to think they are gone. I have Chocolate lab now and she has turned out real well.

As I once heard said, good people and good dogs never live long enough.

Take care....

hntndux

Reaction score
Thanks guys.  Like you all know, there's a bond that a hunter and hunting dog develope that can't be explained.  She was some dog...

T2

Reaction score
I lost a 3 year old lab 2 years ago to a stomach problem.  The vet tried to save her but wasn't succesful.  I always said I wold not spend the kind of money that was spent to try and save her but the thought didn't cross my mind when she was sick.  I even had the vet in tears as I carried my dog out the door of her office, and the hardest part was filling that hole in the back yard.  She was buried with the hunting vest that my grandfather handed down to me.  I feel your pain huntdux the only thing that makes it better is when your new pup makes his/her first retrieve.

Woodduck

Reaction score
hntndux,

If it will make you feel any better, it's duck season in heaven right now and your lab got to retrieve at least a couple of limits this morning.  I'm sure as all lab's are like to do, it spent the afternoon chasing pheasants.  We have several Irish Setters and a couple Springers up there also, and I'm sorry if the setter's hunted out the field for pheasants before your lab got there.  They never did mind down here on earth, and since you're not allowed to swear in heaven, who could hope they'd mind up there?

Sorry for your loss.  

Woodduck

jerry d

Reaction score
hntndux,

Sorry to hear about your sad day.

My wife gave me this little poem when I had to put my 18 month old yellow down. It's in the frame with her picture and I think it rings true.

They will not go quietly, the dogs who've shared our lives.

In subtle ways they let us know their spirit still survives.

Old habits still make us think we hear barking at the door.

Or step back when we drop a tasty morsel on the floor.

Our feet still go around the place the food dish used to be .

And, sometimes, coming home at night, we miss them terribly.

And although time may bring new friends and a new food dish to fill, that one place in our hearts belongs to them.... and always will.

Greenhead

Reaction score
Hntndux,
Man, that's a rough one. One of the saddest days of my life, probably the saddest next to the death of my grandad, was when my dog died. Had to haul her to the vet at 3 a.m. for the deed. Cried all the way there, and all the way back. I'm very sorry for your loss and encourage you to remember the good times you had together. Sometimes I'll think about some of the things my dog used to do and I'll laugh outloud.

Take care, and I'm glad this forum is up and running.

hronk

Reaction score
I've gone thru this 3 times and it sure doesn't get any easier.  I have 3 Labs laying at my feet while I type here and realize that I'll probably have to go thru this at least 3 more times.  But I would never not have a dog because the good times for both of us surely out way any anger or grief that they might cause.........hronk

Matt in MO

Reaction score
Dang. My lab is almost 15 years old and her passing is something I am NOT looking forward to.

(Edited by Matt in MO at 11:15 am on April 27, 2001)

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Hntndux,

Sorry to hear about your loss.  I, too, share your pain.  I lost Winston, my 5 year old yellow lab last December.  I felt like my heart was pulled out of my chest.  He'd been sick for a few days but the vet thought he was going to pull through.  Then he suddenly turned much worse and died in my arms.  I still feel an emptiness and I wonder if I'll ever get over it, but I'll always have the wonderful memories of that silly dog.  They really are something special.  

Take comfort, friends, that all of our dogs are in heaven enjoying each other's company.  

Regards,
Paul

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Hey guys read my post from page one, no you won't get over it, you'll never forget your dog.  I would worry more about a person who didn't feel like their heart had been ripped out.  Cry a lot, hug your loved ones and start shopping for a new pup, the pup will ease the pain and will help you remember the great retrieves of your other dog.

steve

Reaction score
It's tough when you lose/put down a pet but when it happens to be your favorite hunting partner thats a huge loss.I still remember the last retrieve my black lab Amos pulled off.We had ran up to Colusa for a short  hunt ,took 1 shot  ,downed 1 teal and of course ,landed in a thick patch of Tule's.After 20 min  of looking I was ready to call it but Amos wouldn't come out of tule's then a few minutes later he comes out with small teal.Not much a duck some might say,but a memory that lasts a lifetime.We do share in your loss.

BigDog

Reaction score
Not much I can say that has not already been posted. What a wonderful thing, the hunting dog. Yes, it tears a hole in our heart when they leave, especially if we have to do it. But, oh the joy they give us during those years they are with us. I hate the bad time but I love the companionship, the joy and they undying love my dogs have given me.

Top Bottom