Sage grouse

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I was checking out the DFG website the other day and saw they have the apps for this year's sage grouse hunts online. I put in for my nephew and I. I've seen a few up in the White Mtns. I figure at worst I get drawn and can't find any birds, then spend the weekend fishing. Doesn't sound so bad to me.                Scott

gwhunter69

Reaction score
I saw it in DFG's Wing Beat News.  I am thinking about it if i can find someone to go with me.  Maybe Bubba??  The trouble is that it fall right at the end of A Zone.  I guess I will have to get a deer opening day.  LOL!  If I hunt A this year...

docramo

Reaction score
Just put in for south Mono county today. Would be nice to pull a permit as I haven't had a tag ever in the aprox. 9 years I have tried. Probally will pull one this year with no gundog this season.

DanD

Reaction score
I drew a tag a couple of years ago.  I did not have a dog and had no problem finding birds.  I would not worry to much about it.

Good luck!

songdog

Reaction score
I drew a tag about 6 years ago but didn't make the hunt as the wife decided to go into labor a few days before the hunt with our first kid.  Figures, the one time I draw... :wink-yellow:

foulshot

Reaction score
Department of Fish and Game
NEWS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE     02:090        July 23, 2002

Contacts: Glenn Underwood, License and Revenue Branch, (916) 227-2268, Troy Swauger, Information Officer, (916)654-2096
DFG Now Accepting Sage Grouse Permit Applications

The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) is now accepting applications for the annual sage grouse hunts scheduled for portions of Lassen, Mono and Inyo counties. The Fish and Game Commission will adopt the final upland game bird hunting regulations at its meeting in San Luis Obispo on August 2nd. Under proposed regulations, the 2002 sage grouse hunting season will be September 14 and 15th. Proposed regulations for the upcoming upland game bird hunting seasons are on
DFG's website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fg_comm/proposedregs02.htm.

In Lassen County, the proposed bag limit is two sage grouse per season.
In Mono and Inyo counties, the proposed bag limit is one grouse per season. There is abundant public land available for hunting. Much of sage grouse territory is under the jurisdiction of the Federal Bureau of Land Management. Hunters should bring plenty of water and be prepared for rugged terrain with hot, dry conditions.
In order to hunt sage grouse, hunters must receive a permit through a random drawing at DFG's License and Revenue Branch. Hunters may apply for one of four sage grouse hunting zones: East Lassen, Central Lassen, North Mono and South Mono-Inyo. In addition, all sage grouse hunters are required to carry an upland game bird stamp.

Sage grouse permit applications must be received at the License and Revenue Branch by 5 p.m., August 12th. Hunters may apply for a sage grouse permit by sending a postcard with the hunter's name, 2002/2003 California hunting license number, mailing address and the hunt zone choice to: Department of Fish and Game, Sage Grouse Permit Drawing, 3211 S St., Sacramento, CA 95816.

To apply for a sage grouse permit online, visit the DFG's website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing and click on the "Sage Grouse Permit Drawing Application" link. Applications may be disqualified if they are incomplete, or have invalid hunting license numbers.

Hunters may apply in parties of up to four, but each hunter's name, mailing address, and 2002/2003 hunting license number is required on the application. Each hunter may submit only one application for one hunt area.

Falconers may also apply for sage grouse permits but must write "Falconry Only" on their applications. The proposed falconry-only season for all four hunting areas is November 2nd through December 31st.

The conservative sage grouse permit quotas are based on spring lek (male display areas) counts and will be finalized by the Fish and Game Commission during its August 2nd meeting. Trends in peak lek counts since 1987 - when California established a hunter permit system - generally have remained stable.
Hunters wanting more information about the sage grouse permit drawings may contact Glenn Underwood at (916) 227-2268 or by e-mail at gunderwo@dfg.ca.gov.

rlwright

Reaction score
did anyone get drawn yet, my friend said the dfg contacted him and said our party of three got drawn

songdog

Reaction score
hmmm...  I talked to Glenn Underwood today and he said that the drawing wasn't until tomorrow (the 14th)?

When I applied for our party of 4 hunters I put everyone's license number but only my address.  He was nice enough to call and ask for the other info.  Otherwise we would have been DQ'd.  Kudos to Glenn for going the extra mile.

rlwright

Reaction score
I thought it wasn't til friday, so I talked to my friend again and there was a wrong digit on his license #, he thought them calling meant we where drawn

Another Thanks to Ken for going the extra mile

grtwythunter

Reaction score
The drawing is the 14th...results will be online Friday 8/16. Good luck to all.                 Scott

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Anyone seen the results?  I can't find the link on the DFG page.

rlwright

Reaction score
I got my permit today, unfortunatly it looks like it opens on the same day as moutain quail. I guess I'll have to make a decision.....

SierraFool

Reaction score
I drew one of the North mono tags.now lets see my 2 year olds birthday falls on that weekend,my X-12 opens the week after and I already told the wife I'll be gone for a week, what are the odds I can hunt Sage grouse?

rlwright

Reaction score
What are the odds of getting drawn, would I be a fool to skip it and go for mountain quail? This is the first time I've ever put in for the draw.

jej

Reaction score
I drew an east Lassen permit. Never been there.

Anyone here with camping info?

songdog

Reaction score
There were around 1500 applications for the apx 200 tags. Not as bad as a sheep permit but still worth going if you have the chance...

Mt Goat

Reaction score
rlwright

Why not hunt them both ??? theres lots of Mt Quail in Sage Grouse areas.

docramo

Reaction score
rlwright
You should use your permit you drew. It may be a cold day in hell before you draw another.You can easily shoot Mtn. quail or other species of grouse in the same day... after you fill your sage grouse tag. Don't miss your opportunity.
Wish I drew the tag! My 2 cents.

Haary

Reaction score
I got drawn for the East Lassen Sage Grouse hunt. I have never hunted Sage Grouse before. I have hunted deer in the X5B and X3B zones. But I am not sure where is the best place to hunt for grouse in the area.

Can any one offer any suggestions?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom