Salmon season opens with dim prospects

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Salmon season opens with dim prospects

March 28, 2001

By DAVE STREGE, The Orange County Register

The water is cold. That's a good sign. Bait is present in the area. That's a good sign. An incidental catch was made a month or so ago. Another good sign.

The local salmon season opens Saturday with a variety of good signs. Unfortunately, prospects remain dim.

Nevertheless, Jim Duncan of Costa Mesa and Bill Seiler of Balboa will get together Saturday and troll outside the mouth of Newport Bay with downriggers and flashers in an annual ritual.

"This year is looking pretty good," Seiler said.

Never mind that it's been a few years since the opener produced a salmon and the fact most areas aren't getting that many incidental catches.

There hasn't been any talk about landings in Santa Barbara, Ventura, Oxnard and Port Hueneme sending any sportboats out opening day.

"Nobody really gets excited until they hear a couple of (private) boats here and there catching them," said Dave Holaday at Port Hueneme Sportfishing.

Two weeks ago, a salmon was caught at Santa Rosa Island.

"That's the only one I've heard of," said Tom (he wouldn't give his last name) at CISCO's in Oxnard. "I don't think we've had enough rain. That seems to be an ingredient that brings them and we haven't had a lot. I'm not real optimistic about the salmon opener really."

In case you give it a try and catch some, the limit is two fish per day with a minimum size of 24 inches. Coho salmon must be released.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom