Salton Sea Area Guided Hunt

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I have heard that there is a guide/club that charges $100.00 per person per day to hunt near or on the Salton Sea. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this and if they have hunted there how was it?

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
I think its called Los Vivaros. They advertise in Western outdoor news.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
QBN Hunter,
I spoke to one of the guides for Los Vivaros yesterday, Ty Nay, and he told me that Los Vivaros is now a private club for insurance reasons. He said that a couple of new clubs have opened this year in the area and that he would pass my name and # to them. I will let you know when I here something.

Greenhead

Reaction score
I once went on a guided goose hunt down there with an outfit called Flint's Guide Service. He was a nice enough guy, but the hunt setup left a lot to be desired: a 6' X 10' hole, three feet deep, dug in the middle of a barren field. No cover, no attempt at cover, nothing. Had maybe 3 dozen honker dekes, and not a single bird came within a 1/4 mile of us. Got there before dawn and stayed until the end of shooting light. Longest day I've ever spent in a blind.

Fubar

Reaction score
Greenhead  How much did that cost??             Fubar

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the info. I have never hunted waterfowl before. I want to do it right the first time that is why I wanted to go with a guide. It doesn't have to be in the Salton Sea. I am not sure if you guys know of another area in So. Cal?

Greenhead

Reaction score
If memory serves me, it cost $125, and that was about 15 years ago. Lot of money for a college kid, and I dreamed about going on that hunt for weeks before.

Now everytime by buddy visits the valley for duck hunting, and we don't have a very good shoot, he says, "Gee, thanks for the great hunt, Flint." We crack up everytime.

Z-man

Reaction score
There was a guy who gave a guided hunt away 2 years ago at the turkey tune up at Eagle Peak in Julian.  Is this the same as Los Viveros? He has a little 15 ft. trailer with a military camo net over the top.  Right next to some catfish ponds.  If so the guy was very unprepared.  A buddy won the hunt and two days before the hunt, the fields mysteriously flooded.  A duck hunt was offered but not very effective.  I would say for that kind of money hunt on the public land for free or put in for Wister.  On the dove hunt down at Niland saw at least three or four small flocks of teal showing up.  That's got to be a good sign of things to come.  Only 3 weeks to go!!

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
Speaking of woodies. I took my kids to the Fish Talk Radio kids day at lake Cuyumaca yesterday and those Woodies were flying around all over the place up there. Along with widgeons , mallards and honkers. Lastly, I don't think that WU offers day hunts on there properties. I may be wrong but I thought they were an annual membership deal.

Z-man

Reaction score
That is true about WU.  No one time hunts.  In order to get into the club you first have to go through an interview process with a current member.  There is public land near some of their property though.  As far as Lake Cuyamaca goes that is great to hear that there are ducks on the pond, but what about the fee to hunt at the lake.  Last year I think it was $500 per blind.  Looks like the same this year.  http://www.lakecuyamaca.org/hunting.htmIt is a high price to pay for a 1.something avg per hunter.  But here in San Diego it starting to look like there is nothing else.  Hope for a good draw from Wister or the City Lake Program

(Edited by fonesplicr at 9:18 pm on Sep. 24, 2001)

Advertisement

Top Bottom