Salton Sea Fish Kill

Orygun

Reaction score
Extreme heat causing toxic algae growth. Heavy winds cause the algae to mix in the water killing fish. Or the algae uses up oxygen in the water at night suffocating the fish. The link where this story was posted in Campfire has the first explanation I believe. And yes, it smells horrible

Chris

Reaction score
...more like, Holy Tilapia. Looks like the tilapia are doing some successful spawning...makes you wonder how the corvina are doing.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris @ Aug 6 2006, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
...more like, Holy Tilapia. Looks like the tilapia are doing some successful spawning...makes you wonder how the corvina are doing.[/b]
I was talking to Randy at Wister last week. He does the quarterly fish counts at the Salton Sea. Absolutely no corvina in the sea. I think he said it was for the past 3 years it's been like that. The tilapia is making a huge comeback, but no corvina. I asked him if he meant none as is "nothing of significance" or "zero" - he said "zero".

Chris

Reaction score
That's too damn bad. I hope there's a population of corvina tucked away in some corner of the Sea, eating tilapia, getting fat, and spawning like rabbits.

code5coupe

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Orygun @ Aug 4 2006, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the algae uses up oxygen in the water at night suffocating the fish.[/b]
You may throw that theory out.
Algae are photosynthetic (i.e.plants), which use light and CO2 to produce oxygen.

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (code5coupe @ Aug 18 2006, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Orygun @ Aug 4 2006, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the algae uses up oxygen in the water at night suffocating the fish.[/b]
You may throw that theory out.
Algae are photosynthetic (i.e.plants), which use light and CO2 to produce oxygen.
[/b][/quote]
Actually, the algae dies and the decomposition causes the oxygen depleation.

davkrat

Reaction score
At night plants switch over to resperation and consume oxygen. As well decomposition of dead organisms consumes a massive amount of oxygen. When you treat for aquatic plants you have to do small portions of a body of water at a time usually less than 25% to avoid decomposing plant matter from consuming all the oxygen.

Top Bottom