San Diego 1st Timer... Which tag to buy?

tube_ee

Reaction score
Hey, all... I've been hunting upland game for a few years now, and I think this year will be the first time I buy a deer tag. Given that I live in San Diego county, the D16 general and G13 anterless tags are my options. Which one (both?) would be best for me to buy?

Thanks, all

--Shannon

tube_ee

Reaction score
never mind... the A13 is a drawing tag... so dumb question. I'lll be trying my luck in the general hunt. With all the fires down here the last few years, it'll likely be more hiking than hunting, but that's fine by me. Now to find some areas and scout. SD hunters... Laguna or Palomar, or maybe east around Jacumba... Thoughts?

--Shannon

sportyg

Reaction score
Laguna is archery only.. the others are open to general gun hunting..

One Track

Reaction score
If you're a rifle hunter, you'll want the D16. If you tag out, you can go purchase second D16 tag. Actually, Laguna is about half "archery only." You've got the right idea though. Laguna, Palomar, Jacumba, and all in between. Just get a map from the Forest Service and hit all the public land. The burns should be outstanding. You can put in for the doe tag next year. Water will be the key this year.

Glass eye

Reaction score
Don't forget to buy your "adventure pass" or you'll get a ticket for being on National Forest Land.
I live in the Imperial Valley and would like to hunt D16 and A22 but I protest having to pay to be on public land.

Breacher

Reaction score
D16 is over the counter tag for buck. A-22 tag is archery only and has a split season. There is also a muzzleloader tag but not sure what the season is on that.

Laguna recreation area is archery only. Make sure you get a map, the dfg will cite you in you end up in the recreation area with a rifle. I have taken a couple of bucks in the high desert area near, Jacumba and Mcain Valley. Bucks aren't that big but they are out there. It can be tough getting away from the crowds though. Good luck.

Lives2Hunt

Reaction score
If this is your first time ever, I would say just a D-16 tag, and see if you like it. Big game hunting, typically, is alot more work and less action. Bird hunting maybe boom, boom, boom and on and on. You want big game hunt to be, BOOM and then dead animal. If you got time, money and are serious, head north of Grapevine and get into the Sierra's. D-8 through D-5 (most are OTC units), and is some decent CA hunting. Good luck.

Fastshot

Reaction score
Old post. But D-16 or A-22 would be your best bet. good luck

Don't forget to buy your "adventure pass" or you'll get a ticket for being on National Forest Land.
I live in the Imperial Valley and would like to hunt D16 and A22 but I protest having to pay to be on public land.
The Adventure pass is only needed in the High Impact Recreational areas. Here is a map Recreation Fee Areas - Cleveland National Forest - Adventure Pass - Passes & Permits - Pacific Southwest Region

please correct me if I am wrong.:toast-yellow:

Lives2Hunt

Reaction score
WOW how in the world did I miss that!!! DUH, hold muh sign, while I type and respond to a 4 year old message. :bag-on-head:

SPURGEAR

Reaction score
Buy an illegal alien tag and you will fill it anytime your outside your house!!

Top Bottom