San Diego River

HaveGunWillTravel

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice/tips for fishing the San Diego River?  Or any other rivers in the San Diego area?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
There are bass and bluegill in the upper stretches around Mission Gorge, but access to the shoreline can be tough and I sure would'nt want to get in the water.  All the storm drains in Mission Valley run into the river.  My suggestion would be to take up saltwater fishing or bass fishing in SD lakes.  These two types of fishing is really where San Diego fishing shines.  Good luck.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Other than fishing the SD city lakes you can also fish up at Lake Cuyamaca.

Scotty

Reaction score
If go to the link below there are several threads on fishing the San Diego River. It is rough fishing from the shore due to poor access. The most successful fishing is from a float tube.

Scotty

http://www.sdfish.com/index.shtml

Ps. There is quite a bit of whinning and complaining on the board but if you can ignore that down side there are some talented and respectful anglers sharing information.

BTW...This is the friendliest, most respectful board I have experienced. Thanks to Jesse, the moderators, and all the members for making this site IMHO the best hunting/fishing forum on the web.

foulshot

Reaction score
HGWT, Like Scotty said the most success is from a float tube.  There are a couple spots that I fish out in the east county,ie.:santee, lakeside.  Most of the places are posted no tresspassing, but it's maily to keep the vagrants away.  I always try to go with a buddy if I'm going to be out there past dark.  I always do real well for bass, at least 3-4 per trip(usually about 4-5 hours afterwork).  The SD river starts out by San Vicente and runs all the way down through Mission Valley then onto the big blue.

I'm a little busy for the next couple of weeks, but if you want to send me an emial I'll give you some other spots.  I'm trying to move and my wife is 8months pregnant. I don't think things are going to slow down any!

P.S.  Welcome to Jesses!  Great group of folks here with lots of info!

Ericnavy24

Reaction score
Hey guys you are talking about something I would like to get some more info on. I have seen lake poway and Miramar but I have heard you have to pay to fish on them and also with Lake Cauymaca????. I looking for a place that I could do some bass fishing with only have a liscense around San Diego and do pretty decent. I am trying to adjust to California slowly but surely. I am to used to the midwest farm ponds LOL.
Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Top Bottom