San Jacinto Report

huntducks

Reaction score
Went out to SJ today spent most of the day there looking & BS'ing saw a fair number of birds(300-500 total) in several of the ponds, NOTHING like what there use to be (2500-3500) for a opener.

Most of the sites have water even marsh X which had about 25 teal on it, there was even water back in C-4

I have a ressi so I will be there, mainly because I have a class reunion that afternoon or  I would have headed up to Mendota where I also drew a ressi for Sat. Sun.& Wed.( a friend called me and said this is the most birds he has seen at Mendota in years for a opener).

Anyone needs some help Sat. morning picking a site ask me, I drive a black 4x4 toyota with a dog kennel in back.

Greg>hunt-ducks

willowcrick

Reaction score
Huntducks,
I also drew SJ for the opener and have never hunted there so any info would be helpful. I could also go to Mendota but have a similar situation and have to stay in the L.A. area. I will be there with my son who's 14. I drive a white chev Z71 and my license says WLOCRIK. Always a pleasure to meet others with similar passions.
My e-mail is willowcrick@hotmail.com
good-luck

Chessie

Reaction score
San Jacinto report from Sat. can be summed up in one word...HORRIBLE.  All the teal that where there for the opener where gone and no new ones to replace.  Hunted up in the E ponds, had one shot in the first 10 min. then nothing else.  Heard little or no shooting anywhere all morning.   I'd be very surprised if the bird average was 1/2 a bird per hunter.  Unless up north gets some weather it won't be a good year out there.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Chessie, I was planning to hunt there this season for the first time, I mostly go up north or south to  wister anyways, your report doesn't sound good sorry to here that, if it wheather does produce, what are some good areas to hunt there.... Thanks

Chessie

Reaction score
Thonzberry,
If you hunt San Jacinto and can get a B/C pond area then you will get some shooting, some E pond areas are good but very deep, chest waders a must.  If you don't have a reservation you probably will end up in a Marsh Area, which are hit and miss.  They will be opening the old Walker club blinds sometime in Nov.  I've heard they are all pit blinds, but have no idea how good they will do.  Overall, the last couple of years has been very poor out there.  If you are looking for quality (mallards) there are not many shot there, mostly widgeon, teal, gadwall and shovelers.  Good luck if you head out there.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Chessie.
Feelinducky, I'm not going to far north, Kern is about the farthest, due to my wife is expecting number three ( it's another boy i.e. another hunter on the way) so I'll be staying close to home, I'll post when or if I get a reservation, I hunt on Wed. maybe you can join in.

Top Bottom