san jacinto wildlife dove opener

paulc

Reaction score
myself and my 12yr old went to the dove opener at san jacinto.. didnt see a dove until 1.5 hours after shooting light... saw 5 doves within shootable distance and total of 11....
did see 2 large bucks.. a large 2x2 and later a large 3x3...  dont believe they allow rifles in there though.. would that be d14 or d19..

rusman66

Reaction score
Sorry about the dove hunt.  Would you be willing to give the location on those bucks you saw?  That sounds like D-19,  I work in Riverside and would like to chase a few deer with my Bow.  If not thats ok too
just thaught I would ask.  

paulc

Reaction score
rusmann66, i live in riverside also... my son has a j14 tag which is a junior hunt in d19... i dont believe it is in the boundaries of d19 but it might be...  we saw the bucks separetely... we were in the san jacinto wildlife area.. we had parked along ramona express way on the lake perris side... we saw the bucks between the turn off for bernasconi beach and davis road on ramona express way... there were alot of people in the area but they got  spooked about 9:00 and 10:00.. when they got spooked they headed towards bernasconi and up into the hills.. if you can figure out what area it is i would get up in the hills before light and find them with binocs or spotting scope.. the tough part with archery will be the stalk.. it is very dry and noisy... my phone number during the day is 689 9143... i will give you any info i can.. do you have the archery tag that allows you to hunt any unit??  there may be some other areas within a hour of riverside you may want to try..

my son is gonna update my post re dove hunting..

paulc

Reaction score
me and my dad tried hunting in the hills on the left side of Van buren past dufferin... There used to be a ton of doves up there when we went hiking but now theres only a handfull... but sunday night we saw a total of 5  in a group of euaclyptus we shot at 1 amd they kept coming back even after we were shootin them... boy to a 12 year old its like tryin' to shoot a fly with a bb gun.. shot a 'bout 10 shells brought home nothin

paulc's son  

joshc

rusman66

Reaction score
Hey thank you for the Info that is very kind.  I do have an archery only tag.  I live up in Hesperia but work here in Riverside.  A buddy I work with hunts quail in the San Jacinto area and tells me he sees deer sign.   I think the area you were in is only for upland game.

Hey Josh don,t get to upset, those dove can actually avoid a shotgun pattern, they can dart pretty fast. Keep trying you'll get it.      It took me a few years to get my first quail.   Good luck and be safe.

(Edited by rusman66 at 8:52 pm on Sep. 2, 2001)

(Edited by rusman66 at 9:01 pm on Sep. 2, 2001)

Marty

Reaction score
Yes, Josh. Don't feel bad about getting skunked.  It can happen any time with dove.  I had one today that did a back flip roll.  I prefer to see a full fold or wing spiral.  8)

Fubar

Reaction score
junior 12   Welcome to Jesses Forum. You are lucky you are able to hunt with your dad. Even though you didnt get birds this time I know you will. Maybe you could take a hand clay target thrower and practice a little. Quail season is coming up soon. Thanx for the update.               Fubar

Chris

Reaction score
Paul and Junior 12,
Sorry to hear the San Jacinto tip didn't pan out.  I heard they had a pretty good hunt there last year.  I was able to get out and scout the week before the opener and found a good number of birds in the Valley near Westmorland.  If you decide to make the run out there next year, I'd be happy to share info with you.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Paul,
Sorry things weren't better for you.  My daughter & I did make the run to Blythe.  We shot with three other families (a total of SIX junior hunters).  The birds flew pretty well.  The fathers did just so-so.  It was more fun to help and watch the kids catch dove fever.  I'll post my pics after I figure out how to do it.

junior12

Reaction score
we still had fun.. we have been going up to a piece of unincorporated land in riverside county up the street from our house and trying to get at least one dove in the evenings after work.. he has gotten a few shots but no doves... 1 crow did not fair so well.
i think he is hooked... he is pushing me to try to find a place this year but definetly next year we are going on a road trip... saw your pics looks like you had an excellent time.. as far as the n'sync cd those ear plugs you take for shooting serve a dual purpose i am finding out.
happy hunting

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Junior12,

Welcome to the forum.  Don't feel bad about missing shots.  I once heard that there are 8 shots taken for every dove knocked down in Blythe on opening day.  That's pretty poor shooting by guys who have been doing it a long time.   There were guys in a field next to us on opening day and every time a bird flew past it sounded like WWIII but they were having fun and that's what matters.  

Best of luck this season.

Paul

paulc

Reaction score
jesse, any idea why my sons name is coming up when i reply to a post.... he logged in on his own when he registered...
thanks paul

Top Bottom