San Joaquin Valley - jackrabiits

Phil

Reaction score
I remember many years ago, when I travelled through the San Jaoquin valley, I used to always see jackrabbits along the road or in the fields. Now, I never see any jackrabbits, were they all killed off by the farmers??

shaginator

Reaction score
Jackrabbit populations fluctuate widely every 9-10 years. Efforts to control the populations around ranches probably exascerbate the downturn when it happens.

Rimrock

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember all those rabbits. We hunted them regurlarly and they even had rabbit drives to keep them thinned out. It was some sight to see an army of men with shotguns spread out and crossing fields. Sometimes they even strung woven wire fences  and ran them into it and used clubs. There weren't near as many bunny huggers  then.

I haven't seen any numbers for years. I think that we have a lot cleaner farming practices now. All the land is used. Not many fence rows, dirt ditches and land lying idle any more. Pesticides may have played a role too, although I have seen quite a few cottontails lately.

The pheasant population was good at one time too. Now, sadly, they are about gone.

Play fair.

Top Bottom