San Mateo Wilderness Area Orange County

Dellster

Reaction score
Anyone ever scouted the San Mateo Wilderness Area off the Ortega Hwy side in Orange County for Turkey?

kpanza

Reaction score
Did a little scouting near Wildomar last year, didn't see anything...lots of motorcycles and stuff in that area (I had gone riding with my brother earlier in the OHV area)...we went all the way to the Pendleton gate and didn't see anything. Some areas that looked good, and I have heard they are making their way up that way, but we didn't see any evidence of that when we were there...

I ask my buddies on Pendleton to watch for birds for me all the time....

Sure love to see some in there, would sure be a much shorter drive for me from Lake Forest!

chompot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dellster @ Apr 23 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyone ever scouted the San Mateo Wilderness Area off the Ortega Hwy side in Orange County for Turkey?[/b]
I deer hunt that area and have not ever seen sign. If they are there it is very few and far between. I would wait a few years until some sort of population is able to establish itself.

reesounds

Reaction score
I heard some gobbling over there a few years ago. I asked a warden I met in the area and he seemed to think they aren't in the area, but I know what I heard. I wasn't into hunting turkeys then, but I have since scouted a little bit and no sign. I saw (in the DFG info) that there are turkey plants near Pendelton, so they could be spreading east and north etc. There is some year-round water.

Good luck, you'll need it!

chompot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (reesounds @ Apr 24 2008, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I heard some gobbling over there a few years ago. I asked a warden I met in the area and he seemed to think they aren't in the area, but I know what I heard. I wasn't into hunting turkeys then, but I have since scouted a little bit and no sign. I saw (in the DFG info) that there are turkey plants near Pendelton, so they could be spreading east and north etc. There is some year-round water.

Good luck, you'll need it![/b]
They are very close to there, in pretty good numbers in some areas. As far as them moving on to public land, I think they are for the most part, passing through! I am curious to see how that population does, I hope really well.

Top Bottom