Santa Barbara/Carpinteria/Ojai Area

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I moved my family to Carpinteria from Georgia this year and can look up into the Los Padres National Forest, but after talking to the Forest service, DFG, and now have a call into the interior, I can't find an access point into the forest back here, that isn't "private road, trespassing prohibited".

I am not looking for anything but access, I have maps, I have areas I want to check out, but I can't get to the forest, and this is fricking frustrating the stew out of me.

Thus far I have gone out atleast ten times, and tried atleast twice that many roads that show access on the forest map, but can't get in, maybe I am expecting too much by finding something closer to home, but there has got to be a way in there, them hills are taunting me.

Anyone in the area that can throw me a bone, anything.

Also I have an area I will be hunting in D8 starting when bow season opens, but that is four or so hours away and I would like an area to start killing time at closer to "home".

Thanks

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
figueroa mtn off the 154 cachuma pass is wide open public, tough ass hunt though and pounded pretty
hard during the a- zone season, but it is close to where you are at and has bucks as well as a few public land hogs might be worth a shot,your with in 15 or 20 miles from it, thats the only tip i got for you
other than plant your corn early this season!!good luck and keep us posted.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Thanks, that is one area I had driven through, but I had been trying to get into the area behind our house, I can see deer on the top of the mountain every now and then.

I will take another look at it again, thanks Hatchet

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
I live in SB..Fig. Mtn is more like 50 miles from Carp. to where you can start hunting and he is right..TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH!! I'm not real familar with that area behind Carp.. There might not be access until you get to Ojai..There is some decent hunting off of the 33 if you know where to go..
On your map, does it look like those forest areas are surrounded by private land?? If so, you might not be able to get in there short of a helicopter dropping you off.. Good luck..

brubo

Reaction score
bearclaw: east camino cielo off of hiway 154 will get you in there. camino cielo rd. turns into a dirt rd. there is a off rd. area called divide peak that you can ride in w/ motorcycles & quads. this will get you atleast just above montecito or a little further. can be crowded during a zone especially on the weekends. good luck brubo.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I just stumbled onto a road within a mile of the house that "might" dead end into the forest, waiting on a return call to verify that, if so that will be a starting point for my hikes with the bow, but I have seen deer above my house, so if I can get there, I will get the wife to record it, just have to get a better camera for that distance.

Rookies

Reaction score
All I can say is "Hot springs road", I dont think you can hunt those mountains above your house unless they are all the way up there in the national forest. Those must be private land.... Look into it first before you start crawling up there. Good luck

Rookies

Reaction score
Oh.... and another word.... A zone starts in 35 hours..... whoooooo!

Top Bottom