Santa Rosa Wildlife Area

shaginator

Reaction score
I may be near the Palm Springs / Desert Hot Springs area pretty soon and was thinking of taking my shotgun or .22 for half a day to see whether there's Jackrabbits out in the Santa Rosa WA. It's near San Jacinto, but appears to be closer to Desert Hot Springs (I admittedly haven't studied the maps too well yet).

I found the DFG reg that states that weapons possession is not allowed in Game Refuge district 4D.

Has anyone hunted this wilderness area? Are the boundaries of 4D well-marked? Is there a map somewhere I can look at? Thanks.

(Edited by shaginator at 9:30 pm on Mar. 26, 2002)

(Edited by shaginator at 9:34 pm on Mar. 26, 2002)

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Is that any different from the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve near Murrieta?

MC

Reaction score
Shaginator, I'm not too familiar with the Santa Rosa Wildlife Area, but you can grt maps from the BLM office in I believe it's Palm Desert ( I could be wrong ). The game refuge in the Santa Rosa's is large and covers a lot different terraine from desert to alpine forest. I don't know about the lower elevations, but up high if your not sure where its at you will be on it before you know it. Up there those refuge marking signs are older than me. I would get maps from the BLM or the San Bernadino Nat. For. I do not think that the Nat. For. go'es down that low though. It's probably all BLM or state or refuge. If you go there let us know what you find. MC

nocturnal23

Reaction score
Would that be a shotgun only area or could you use a .22, i still dont have a shotgun so thats all i could do (unless i use my .243, a little too big), but thats close to my grandmas house so i'll try to find more about it too

RKBA

Reaction score
Picked up my map at the Ranger station in Idlywild.  Rangers are there, so you can ask them specific questions.  I wouldn't presume to attempt helping you though.  My map is 10 years old, and I know changes have been made.  Have to find out why there are now fences on the BLM lands I used to hunt.  That bothers me!

Top Bottom