Saw another nice one yesterday

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Well, with my newfound, extra week of A-zone archery season, I had an opportunity to get out for a couple of hours last night.

Before I went out, I took the horse for a little cruise to check the trails. As we topped out a rise, about 100 yards away and bedded IN THE WIDE OPEN was a sweet looking 4 pointer. This one was much more traditional, although all of the bucks in that area have tall racks.

I turned the horse back after looking at him for a while (they never spook when I'm on horseback), and went back to grab my bow.

About an hour later, I slipped back into the canyon. Unfortunately, my only entrance is with the wind at my back, so I'm hoping to get into the canyon, then slip up onto the high ground and work my way back around.

No go. Just as I hit the trail, I hear blowing and crashing in the edges. I listen to where they were moving, then decided to go ahead with my original plan and loop around to come back against the wind. I figured that I could parallel their course on the opposite rim of the canyon, and possibly head them off as they tried to slip out of a funnel at the other end.

After another hour, I finally hit the funnel, and check for tracks. Lots of fresh sign, but nothing indicating that the deer had run through in the last hour or so. I've managed to get ahead of them. I find a good hide, and dig in for the last hour of light.

Just as I'm starting to think they must have circled back on me, I hear the patter of little hooves down on the trail. The shadows are already pretty dark down in the bottom, and I can't quite see who it is. Then I hear another set of hooves up on the main trail. It's coming right to me!

I get myself eased around and ready for the shot, as I expect the deer to step out from behind a branch at any second. Then the movement stops... and I hear the fateful, "whoof!"

The unseen deer turns and I hear it bound up the hillside a few yards. It stops there and whoofs at me a few more times. Then it moves closer and does it again. The danged swirling winds have given me away! After a few minutes of cat and mouse, the deer finally can't quite figure me out, but it's had enough anyway and goes on up the trail and skirts around me.

By this time, it's too dark for me to try to get closer, and I head back to the barn. On the way out, I check the tracks, expecting to find the sign of a doe and some youngsters. Instead, I find one large set of prints moving up and down the trail about 20 yards from where I'd been sitting.

Oh well... at least I know there are two real trophy bucks hanging around in here.

I'll be back.

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Tough luck Speck. Does sound exciting though. Hang in there...he'll be back.

Backcountry

Reaction score
Please, please, please go back again tonight... you're doing everything right (except maybe with the Palm Pilot calender) and you deserve sucess. You are bound to connect sooner than later!

Good luck!
Backcountry

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Sounds like some excitement~! Go get 'em Phillip~!

These cool days with the marine layer moving with in with the westerly/ nor-westerly winds brings on a catch--22 situation. It's nice to have the deer out & about earlier in the late afternoon, but the winds shift around a lot.

Yeah, I can't complain...it's good to have access in the A zone again.

I too was busted the night before last @ about 20 yds by another 3x3 (a squaty 3x3, not tall but some decent mass, good sized body). I was pulling a sneak up a dry creek bed with my Bear's Feet on, going super slowly but a shift in wind and I was busted! He exploded out of a bed from about 20 yards in front of me.

But, during the last 10 minutes had a doe scoot pass me at about 10 yds unaware. I'm getting above ground next time and going to play the waiting game. Or I might have to try one of those bull blinds.

The only shot I got off at a blacktail with my bow was a couple years ago. I attempted an "intercept" and got in front of where I thought the 4x4 would emerge. Didn't get much bowhuntin' for deer in last year tho...just 3 days worth.

superduty

Reaction score
Sounds like your next story might have a picture attached to it. Good Luck Phil

Reaction score
Damm you got the Life Speck!

I wish I had a horse again- amazing how "game" dont spook nearly as much when on a horse than when not.

LOL Backcountry

BDB

Reaction score
Speck: How about just riding on past him until you get down wind and out of sight, then slip on the camo tarzan outfit, that I have heard of but never seen personally (thank god for small favors
), tie up the horse and head back up wind. That'll suprise the big boy !!! Good luck working out a plan, i can't wait to see the field photo !!!

Reaction score
Just ride side saddle and sport a long ruffle dress with a bustie and high heal black patten boots with lace up-

deer aren't afraid of women for some reason.

Oh and instead of the "no soap" use Channel #5

GL2u Bro

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys.

If I don't score out at the ranch this year, it'll be nobody's fault but my own. I really haven't been in a big hurry to hit it hard yet, since I anticipate some SERIOUS good hunts when the big boys start getting interested in the does. I have the place almost to myself, so the deer won't be going anywhere if I don't tag out during the archery season.

Lucky? Heck yeah, I'm lucky! I know it, and I'm grateful for it everytime I ride out there.

As to strategy... I've ordered a lock-on stand and some tree steps, and have a big ol' oak tree all picked out for an ambush. I also have another approach to the canyon, which is usually upwind. Just couldn't use that route yesterday.

Hope to be posting up the photos in the near future.

One Track

Reaction score
Sounds really cool Speck. Hope you stick that big boy.

Jake

Reaction score
Good Luck Speckmisser, cant wait to see some pics.

Mike

AimHigh

Reaction score
Speckman,

You know, you could get one clean shot while in the saddle -- can't say what will happen at that moment. Your other opportunity is to ease off the saddle with bow and let your horse walk. The deer will focus on the moving object. Can you whistle your horse back to you? Carry some grain. How's that for some advise?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom