SBNF Closure Map

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
CRAP!

I'm glad I haven't bought my tag yet. Time to start scouting new areas. and praying.

Marty

Reaction score
Parts of San Bernardino National Forest Closed
By Amelia Neufeld - LATimes Staff Writer

July 26, 2004

National Forest officials closed portions of the San Bernardino National Forest today as a precaution against wildfires like those that ravaged parts of the Angeles National Forest earlier this month.

"We're seeing fire behavior now that we would normally see in late August or early September," said Ruth Wenstrom, a San Bernardino National Forest spokeswoman. "It's more of a protective measure than anything."

Since July 1, almost 35,000 acres have burned in the Angeles National Forest, prompting evacuations of hundreds of homes and numerous road closures.

The areas of the San Bernardino National Forest being closed are all in the lower foothills of the forest, where the terrain tends to be steep, dry and full of brush. Campers and hikers do not typically recreate in these areas and will most likely not be affected, Wenstrom said.

By closing these lower elevation areas of the forest, officials hope to prevent fires from spreading to the higher-elevation mountain towns of Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead and Idyllwild.

"We've got to do something to protect these communities," she said.

Precautionary measures of this kind have not occurred since the 1970s, when portions of the San Bernardino Forest were closed routinely during the summer fire season, Wenstrom said.

"It's not unprecedented," she said. "It's just a different way of looking at [fire prevention] in recent years."

The lower-elevation areas tend to be hotter and to dry out more quickly than higher-elevation portions of the forest. Wenstrom said those areas have not had a significant rainfall since late last year.

As another preventive measure, officials are stopping all campfire use, even in the developed camping and hiking areas of the forest, and camping in general is being restricted to higher-elevation communites.

"We want to encourage people to recreate but to do it safely and in areas where we have a better chance of catching any fire starts that might occur," she said.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Same old same old. IF they were honest they would close the entire forest in MAy when the fire threat starts. They keep the NF open until Sept 1 every year so they can make their money off the campgrounds and then they close it off to the hunters.

SOmeone needs to file a lawsuit over this.

Time to get in Zimmerman's ear again. Anybody have SBNF's HQ phone number & email handy?

Tree Doc

Reaction score
I don't hunt there but what a bunch of crap!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The areas of the San Bernardino National Forest being closed are all in the lower foothills of the forest, where the terrain tends to be steep, dry and full of brush. Campers and hikers do not typically recreate in these areas and will most likely not be affected, Wenstrom said.[/b]
If there is no one there, why close it? If the brush and trees know that it's closed, will they not burn?

Typical knee jerk reaction by the guv'mint.

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Jesse-

San Bernardino NF Supervisor’s Office
1824 S. Commercenter Circle
San Bernardino, CA 92408
(909) 382-2600 (voice)
(909) 383-5615 (TTY)
Arrowhead Ranger Station
28104 Highway 18
Skyforest, CA 92385
(909) 382-2782 (voice)
(909) 336-1626 (TTY)

Big Bear Ranger Station
and Discovery Center
North Shore Drive, Highway 38
Fawnskin, CA 92333
(909) 382-2790 (voice)
(909) 866-3233 (TTY)

Lytle Creek Ranger Station
1209 Lytle Creek Road
Lytle Creek, CA 92358
(909) 382-2850 (voice)
(909) 887-5783 (TTY)

Mill Creek Ranger Station
34701 Mill Creek Road
Mentone, CA 92359
(909) 382-2881 (voice)
(909) 389-9133 (TTY)

San Jacinto Ranger District
54270 Pinecrest
Idyllwild, CA 92549
(909) 382-2921 (voice)
(909) 659-5748 (TTY)

I don't see an email address available.

Basically what I'm seeing here is that they have closed the low land areas that are on the typical windward side of the mountains to try and keep a fire from marching up through the mountain communities. I know that most of what they have marked on the map as closed outside Hemet has burned in the last 5 years. Most of it is grass. If a fire caught there it would be a fast mover, and probably very hard to stop before it hit any trees up high. Once it got to the trees the fire would be pretty cold and should be very easy to contain at that point.

I checked the Clevelands web page yesterday and I don't see any closures as of this point

I guess the shiny side of the coin is that they haven't closed the whole forest down as of yet.......

brut

Banned
Reaction score
when you call to complain make sure you call the supervisors office or the district office. Unfortnutly I work for the brainless wounders on the angeles
but just in fire and have no say in their thinking.

BDOG

Reaction score
They closed the area above my house where I shot a coyote yesterday. The forest closure signs are up all year long. But go ahead and buy your forest adventure pass. Kiss my blank blank. I see all the numbers posted. How many of you called. Did you get a machine? Do you really think they give a shit about hunters. Just think how much revenue they would loose if hunters banned together and didn't buy a license for 1 year but hunted anyway. I think I would be ahead of the game. How many of you bought a tag just to find that area is closed. Yeah I'm ranting but I'm starting to understand why people poach. It's time hunters unite and do something.

scr83jp

Reaction score
I called the FS and was told only the Willow Fire areas were closed for rehab,remember 2 yrs ago the BLM lands remained open.I asked why the whole forest wasn't closed since camping summer visitors start the fires not hunters,as usual I didn't get an answer and was lied to about the massive area closed.

jmartinez74

Reaction score
Is there any way someone can organize a signature list to let these
people know that their tactics are so blatant that it's like a slap to
every hunter's face. Do they believe we are so naive to believe their
actions. Coincidence that right around the start of the season they
deem the forest to be too dangerous to open. Nevermind the fact
that most seasons are open as temperatures are starting to drop.
Bunch of BS if you ask me.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom