SC Bird

Possum

Reaction score
Got a nice SC bird Sat. morning.  He had around 12 hens and 2 jakes with him.  Took about an hour to call him 200 yds.  I went to work on the hens and he came in tow.
http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...amp;PhotoID=844

Also saw one aggravated alligator, a stork, courting wood ducks, 9" diameter bamboo stalks, and an embarrassed trespasser.  What a morning!

(Edited by Possum at 7:19 pm on Mar. 18, 2002)

(Edited by Possum at 7:19 pm on Mar. 18, 2002)

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Nice bird!!!     :bounce-aqua:

Go get another one. I still have almost two weeks to wait!!! LOL

Fubar

Reaction score
Congratulations! Nice one.             Fubar

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Real nice bird there Possum. Talking to the hens works the best for me too when the tom has so much company. Did you say alligator?  Like in suitcase and shoe alligator? :shocked-big-eyes:

Possum

Reaction score
Oh yeah.  I am talking to the trespasser and he says "look over my shoulder at the alligator".  A 6-7 footer is just walking through the swamp on dry ground.  I went up to it (around 15yds) and it started hissing.  I got the heck out of there after making sure the trespasser left.  My buddy went Monday and killed a bird right exactly where the gator was laying (there is an old tree stand there).   My eyes are peeled from now on and I am buying a new flashlight!!!!

tomturkey

Reaction score
Congrats Possum, That is one fine bird there. Hey, I was down your way Sat night for the banquet & a Sunday hunting trip. Had a great time too. :D

tomturkey ;)

Possum

Reaction score
Were you at the Columbia chapter? Central Carolina Chapter?  That's the only one I know of that night.  We had a good time.  We probably know each other and don't realize it.

Don

Reaction score
That is a nice bird Possum.  I still have to wait until April 1.
Been getting out a little to listen to them gobble.  
I am ready.

Welby

Reaction score
That's a great bird!  Congratulations!  By the way, from that picture there is no doubt where you get your handle from, Mr. (Grinning Like A) Possum!

Two things I want to ask about, by the way...

Nine inch bamboo???  I didn't know it got that big.  Really????  All I am used to seeing around here is maybe one inch or just a hair bigger.  WOW!

And how did you call to the hens to get them to come your way?

(Edited by Welby at 7:24 am on Mar. 20, 2002)

tomturkey

Reaction score
Yep Possum I was at the Central Carolina banquet. I hunted Sunday with your caterer/committee member. I am also on the state board and that was my 5th banquet in the last 2 weeks. No dang wonder I'm so tired!!  lol

tomturkey ;)

Possum

Reaction score
Great. David throws one heck of a meal.  I am one of the guys that was taking  the money behind the table where you pic up the auction items.   Welby, I have never seen it that big either.  I will measure it exactly Sat. after I get another bird.  I'm sure it is seven and that is just one of the stalks on the trail.  There is probably bigger boo off the trail.  I am going to try to cut one stalk and make some drinking glasses out of it.LOL  

I got the flock to follow the ole boss hen by mimicking her every call.  She did a call I have never heard.  It was like a one note kee-kee and then broke straight into a yelp..like keeeeeeyelp yelp yelp.  When I made her aggravated she came in and brought the rest of the clan.  What you are trying to do is make her mad without running her off.  I start out really non-confrontational and soft even while I am calling exactly like she is.  Then when I have her attention really good I get a little bolder.  Then when she is really hot/mad I start cutting at her with a new sequence all the while matching her every sequence.  I hope that comes out right when you read it.  Anyway it worked Friday morning and Sat. morning on two different sets of birds.  The ones on Friday did not have a Gobbler with them.  Good luck and practice (in and out of the woods) makes perfect.  By the way, I listen to the Turkey Jubilee tape/cd every day to keep those hen sounds in my head.  That way I can close my eyes and hear the flock calling in my head.  Good luck!

Tominator

Reaction score
Congrats possum! Good looking bird and kid and I agree, no doubt where the handle came from.
Tominator

Possum

Reaction score
Just to give credit to him - The child in the photo is Gregory, my wife's cousin.  He does not have anyone to take him hunting.  I started taking him and got him enrolled in the Take One, Make One program.  A hunter can sponsor a child to take hunting and there are special youth days the DNR sets just for kids to hunt.  Great program and it needs more adult hunters.  If your state doesn't have one they need to contact SCDNR and get a pilot program started.  Bob Redfern is the contact for this program in SC.

By the way, he sat still for over an hour while I worked the bird and maybe this Sat. he can pull the trigger.  He acted like a seasoned hunter.  eck my next post out.  I have a question about guns and shells for children.

Tominator

Reaction score
Good luck on the youth hunt sat! All my nephews have games that day and I'm trying to round up a yougster to take. The Take one Make One program is awesome. If my own son weren't at the age where he's starting to tag along I would definitely be involved>
Tominator

Top Bottom