SC - Croft State Park Bow Hunts

Lankyman

Reaction score
I got this information off of a SC hunting site.  Does anyone have any information on these draw hunts? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

CROFT ARCHERY DEER HUNTS SET; DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS AUG. 19

Three archery hunts will again be held this year at Croft State Natural Area in Spartanburg County in an effort to improve overall herd health and reduce significant deer damage to vegetation inside the park.

Plans call for four archery hunts covering eight days: Sept. 18-19, Sept. 25-26, Oct. 16-17 and Nov. 13-14. Hunters are required to register in advance by sending their applications to the Union Office of the S.C. Department of Natural Resources. The application deadline is 5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 19.

Croft State Natural Area covers 7,054 acres of wooded, rolling terrain that hosts a burgeoning population of white-tailed deer. Park officials feel the deer problem stems in part from crowding caused by surrounding urban growth. Poor deer health and significant damage by deer to the native flora in the park has led to the decision to have these hunts.

Detailed application packets, including hunt information, special rules and regulations, licensing and permit requirements and a map are available at the following locations: Croft State Natural Area, 450 Croft State Park Road, Spartanburg, SC 29302, (864) 585-1283; DNR Wildlife Region III Office, 124 Wildlife Drive (SC 49 West), Union, SC 29379, (864) 427-4771; and the DNR Columbia office, PO Box 167, 1000 Assembly St., Columbia, SC 29202, (803) 734-3886.

The DNR will assign hunters hours and area locations based on their preferences. Successful applicants will be notified by mail by Aug. 30. On the opening day of each hunt period, selected hunters must report to a checkpoint station to exchange their hunting license for a daily permit.

Camping is available at Croft State Natural Area, and reservations for a two-night minimum stay can be made in advance by calling the park at (864) 585-1283.

Here is a link to a site that talks about it:
http://www.bowsite.org/BOWSITE/TF/regional...11&state=SC

You can contact Gerald Moore with the DNR office in Union, SC at (864) 427-4771.  He is taking names and addresses right now in order to mail out the applications.  The deadline for returning the applications has been extended to August 19th. you can put up to four names on one application if you wish to hunt as a group, however any of those names must not appear on any other applications. basically you have up to four chances to be drawn.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Lankyman >> Thanks for this posting. Looks like another hunt I'll have to apply for.

Lankyman

Reaction score
I called the DNR location in Union & got my name added to their mailing list. I was told that the applications should be mailed next week. This is the location that I called: DNR Wildlife Region III Office, 124 Wildlife Drive (SC 49 West), Union, SC 29379, (864) 427-4771

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll have to call them tomorrow. I had a water pipe break at my house today and I think I got it fixed. But it took most of the day.

Digging in wet redy clay stinks. You go to throw the dirt off the shovel and the shovel goes flying.

I'll call in the morning.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Called this morning and got my name on the list. Should have a application sometime next week.

Thanks again.

Jerry

Tominator

Reaction score
Lankyman, you have croosed the line now big guy! This info is to be guarded with your life and is not for public viewing, anyone reading this from here on, please disregard anything LM may have said.
Tominator
P.S. If I don't get drawn, someone, read "Lankyman", is going to pay severely. I might even go so far as to warn the local authorities about your faux sorority house scheme!:no no:

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Now Tominator don't go getting all upset. I usually am no good at anything that has to do with a lottery so you guys are safe. I'm just looking for a reason to come down and hunt with my cousin from Inman. I used to go down there a lot and we used to have a blast on Lake Bowen.

Tominator

Reaction score
I've been waiting 5 years for this and Lankyman wants to go and lower my odds at payback. (I just finished emailing you the story AH). I won't be upset until I don't get drawn, then lanky's sorority sister trap will be exposed and I'll probably complete the nervous breakdown that was started 5 years ago. If I was y'all, I wouldn't go there anyway. It used to be a bombing range during WWII and there's still ordnance laying behind every tree. I think I even saw some VC while I was there so it looks like they used it as a training ground as well. (no offense to the vietnam vets and I should probably strike that comment but I thought of it because my dad refuses to hunt over there with me due to the bombs they find. His exact words were "I didn't spend 367 days in vietnam and make it through the Tet Offensive to get my a** blown off deer hunting in spartanburg!). It really is a dangerous place and should be left to the professionals such as myself. Really, I'm only looking out for y'alls best interest, I promise.
Tominator

Lankyman

Reaction score
Tominator,

Do you want us to help your odds & send your name in 4 or 5 times to make sure that they know that you want to be involved with the hunt???????????  :rofl  :dancinred:  :rofl

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Lankyman >> Good thinking, I'll make sure I put Tominators name on one of the App's I send in.

Lankyman

Reaction score
I got my application today.  Tominator, let me know, we can send in a few extra applications for you if you want us to.  :smiley-thumbs-up:

:delete button:

Lankyman

Reaction score
Tominator,

I got my notice today for the 11/13 - 11/14 hunts. Good luck to everyone that applied. Thanks for the info.

Hope you got drawn too.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I been standing by the mailbox, just in case the wife pre-sorts the mail.....

I'll let you know in the next couple days. Thanks for teh heads up.

Hope you stick a big ole good un.... Or a good ole biggun.....

Arrowhead

Reaction score
OK I got my permit in the mail today. One question, Mine is dated for Oct 16, I thought it was a 2 day hunt. Oct 16/17. Or does my permit allow me to hunt both days?

Any help? How are yours dated?

Thanks.

Lankyman

Reaction score
Arrowhead,

I think that the permit just has the first date listed on it. We plan to head up there on Tuesday afternoon & camp Tuesday & Wednesday nights.

Did you hear anything from the SRS application?

Mailman, hopefully you can get a SC big'un on your 1st SRS hunt in November. On our first hunt down there, me & Dave both have gotten two bucks each. They should be loaded with nice bucks since there hasn't been a full hunting season since 2000.

Before you head down, we'll help you with some info on the hunt. We realize that you are from PA & need a little help with the down south deer hunting.
We won't hold that against you though.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Lankyman >> I'll probably make a trip over between now and then. Then just try to make it over a day early.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Haven't heard anything about the SRS hunt, must of gotten passed over.

Thanks.

Top Bottom