Scent Attractants?

wshive

Reaction score
I know baiting is not allowed for hogs, but what about scent attractants? Has anyone in CA had luck using them?

Reaction score
I think with everything today its a marketing ploy. I think this way when you hunt hogs you are supposed to approach up wind anyhow. Why would you wanna smell like dinner?

wshive

Reaction score
Well, I was thinking about possibly putting it along a pig trail or something then glassing from a higher vantage point. Smelling like dinner would certainly make things more interesting though!

I'm totally new to this, so just trying to separate the tried and true methods from the gimmicky ones. Thanks for the input. :bounce-aqua:

Reaction score
This is just me but if you "lose" a bail of barley. Itll all work the same. Another is milk, If you leave a new, unopened carton of milk in the sun for a week and it "accidently spills while your taking a drink" in the woods the hogs will comma runnin. Hog feed in a barrel of water for a week gets em a little drunk sometimes too. I have a great story about that Ill tell one day.

559hog

Reaction score
This is just me but if you "lose" a bail of barley. Itll all work the same. Another is milk, If you leave a new, unopened carton of milk in the sun for a week and it "accidently spills while your taking a drink" in the woods the hogs will comma runnin. Hog feed in a barrel of water for a week gets em a little drunk sometimes too. I have a great story about that Ill tell one day.
Can we hear the story now :).

wshive

Reaction score
I heard the milk thing too! Hah, that sounds so random! Some guy (perhaps you, lol) told my cousin about it, and he said it worked for him. Though, he didn't realize baiting wasn't allowed at the time. I wanna try to keep things on the up and up just for myself. I am tryin' to murder them, after all. :chainsaw: Hehe.

Reaction score
Now im not gonna get in the legal aspect of everything. If sents arent considerd bait than why couldnt you use anything for its smell if they couldnt eat it. If I spread some rotton milk on the ground they could smell it but not eat it, could I use it? I once filled a 5 gallon bucket with old fish heads, leftover fish bait and some old ice cream. I sealed a lid on it and left it in the sun for a month. After I put it in the chest freezer to freeze it solid. Later that week I took the bucket out in the woods, drilled a 100 tiny holes into it with a dewalt and attached one end of a chain to a tree and the other to the bucket handle. Now I doubt if it was legal but they couldnt eat anything, the holes were too small to get any food out. Heck I didnt even hunt over the bucket. I just used it as some cheap entertainment. Watched a bunch of hogs play soccer with that thing for a week. It was priceless.

wshive

Reaction score
boarstopper, I see your point. You certainly can get around getting caught if you wanted. In which case, using scents really isn't any different from a sporting perspective. Somehow I didn't see it that way initially but you are right.

You've also given me the idea that maybe I'll use scents or even straight up food just to observe them. I'm so new at this, that it'd help even as just a scouting tool. Probably best not to bring the bang stick so no one can accuse me of anything but encouraging an ad hoc game of hog soccer! :rofl-yellow:

Reaction score
U have public or private land? I think that would make a huge difference in wether or not you decide to watch your own "soccer game"

wshive

Reaction score
Public, unfortunately. But if I'm not hunting, then it's not baiting, right? In fact, I think technically, you just can't shoot them within 400 yards of the baited area.

rsolo

Reaction score
Public, unfortunately. But if I'm not hunting, then it's not baiting, right? In fact, I think technically, you just can't shoot them within 400 yards of the baited area.
If it is deemed bait, or food, then I believe it's illegal just to feed the animals. You will still get a citation, but maybe not lose your license. If a warden, or other law enforcement see it that way, good luck convincing them, or a judge otherwise.

As far as i can tell, scents aren't considered bait in California. Bait is stuff that can be eaten. There is a section on it in the regs. section 257.5
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/08-09-mammal-regs.pdf

Raully

Reaction score
As long as they can't eat it....it's legal. Scents are ok.

larrysogla

Reaction score
I believe.........whether you are hunting or not..............it is illegal to feed the wild animals. Baiting is feeding the wild animal which is illegal. However...........if you are a landowner.......you can plant a small orchard of grown apple trees and let the fruit drop to the ground undisturbed..............hogs can smell the rotting fruit a long ways. Or you can excavate a pond so the hogs can drink and wallow in the mud. Either way...........I believe both are legal. 'Nuff said.
larrysogla

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
In my experience, I don't think they work. I will save my money and use other tactics. Staying upwind, hunting at first/last light, walking known hog beds, watching watering sources, Identifying known game trails and knowing where to set up a ambush, identifying known food that they can't resist & etc. These have all worked for me in the past and my favorite, a little bit of "luck". :)

HH714

leftyhunter

Reaction score
I can't see cover scents being detrimental to hunting pigs. If your in a good ambush spot the wind can change directions very quickly same go's for still hunting. Wouldn't a strong cover scent say fox urine at least somewhat improve ones chance of not being scented? I am not suggesting that cover scents are a panacea for hog hunting but just one more tool for a hunter.

Leftyhunter

Latest Posts

Top Bottom