scope for win94ae .44 mag?

beasty

Reaction score
hey all, I have a winchester 94ae in a 44 mag.  would like to get into some coyote hunting and thought it would do the trick nicely.  the question remains what brand and "size" or optics to use.  for that matter can the gun even be scoped for a reasonable cost? would 100yds be a good sighting rage?

Lollypop

Reaction score
I have the Winchester 94 AE Legacy in 30-30 and it is drilled and tapped. Mounted a 4-12X Bushnell Banner with BDC and range finding - (1985 Made in Japan). This scope is a bit of an overkill since I would not use this rifle for shots greater than 150-200 yards MAX. I am getting a grouping of 1" to 1-1/2" at 100 yards with 170 grainers reloaded.

I think that a nice 3-9 or 4-12 will be fine for close cover or medium ranged open for smaller to medium sized animals.  

Actually I'm not even sure that scoping this rifle is such a whole lot better than open sights especially for 44 mag which I don't know if I would use beyond 100 yards. I just don't like spare scopes lying around.........

EVAN III

Reaction score
    Beasty,

You would be just fine, if you went with a straight 4X scope. The caliber is not a flat enough shooting bullet to need anything more then that. If you want a variable you might want to go with a 1.5X4 power scope. The 1.5 will allow you to take closer running shots, and 4X will get you out to the max distance (100 to 150 yards). The rifle is not hard or expensive to scope. I assume it is drilled for a scope? If so all you need is scope mounts, rings, and a scope.

EVAN III

TScottW99

Reaction score
I agree with Evan that a 4X would be perfect. When it comes to scopes it's all about $$$$$ ;-).  Though a good 4X that doesn't rob the bank too bad is the Burris.  Good luck to ya'

(Edited by TScottW99 at 7:31 am on Aug. 13, 2002)

TScottW99

Reaction score
beasty,
 was looking at my natchez catalog this morning.... Natchez  The had the Burris 4X on sale for $159.00 in case your interested.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom