• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Scope on a Marlin 336

Hog slayer

I am hoping that I get drawn for a elk hunt in Utah this year for a cow permit. The area that we will be hunting will be in thick timber and some open areas. I have been thinking of mounting a scope on my Marlin 336 lever action. I thought maybe a fix 4 power scope will do. I have a set of ghost rings sights on the gun. I shoot ok with the open sights but I thought when you get those longer shots out to 150 yards or more a scope could come in handy. What are your thoughts, scope or open sights. My Marline is a 444 caliber.

catchdog

IF you can hit a paper plate with the iron sights at 150 yards then you don't need a scope. If you go with a scope I would go with a leupold 2x7x33 . The 2x is great for close up stuff. Where if you look at a elk at 20 yards with a 4x what you see is a big brown blob. And I can shoot just fine out to 300 yards on 7x . Not that you will be shooting that far with a .444 . Keep the scope turned down on 2x then if you need more power you can turn it up. Heck 2x at 150 would on a elk would still work fine.

Hog slayer

Well after some thinking, and looking throughout my gun safe I found a Leopold Scope 3x9 power. My eyes are not quite as good as they use to be so I decided to put a scope on the Marlin. I ordered a leopold one piece base and rings. I also ordered a spur for the hammer on the Marlin. I was told that the scope will be close to the hammer and that you would need a spur to pull the hammer back. I talked to a friend of mine who will be going on the hunt with and he suggested using a scope. He said that during low light it is hard to see through the iron sights while taking aim at the elk. I removed my rear ghost sight and the gun is ready for mounting the scope when I get my base and rings. I think a 3 power on the scope should work. I just can't see spending more money on a 2 power scope since I have an extra scope.

catchdog

I agree , just keep it turned down on 3x and if you need more power it is there. I would not go buy a new scope if I had a good Leopold in the safe. Matter of fact I just set up a 25 year old BB gun that I had broke the front sight off for my grandkids. Looked through my stuff and picked out a red dot . Mounted it and it works great for all three that are big enough to shoot it. Since its a red dot and has know eye relief all of them can use it just fine. Your friend is right you need the spur on the hammer. Sounds like you are ready to go good luck. And the scope will help a lot in low light.

Hog slayer

Well thanks for all the info. that BB gun sounds pretty cool. What a great way to get kids started in gun sports and hunting. I remember buying my kids their first BB gun. Lots of good memories.

freezer

I think a 3x9 is a bit much. My 308 lever Savage wears a 2x7 Leupold mainly because I wouldn't hesatate to take a 300 yard shot with it. For a 444 Marlin I'd like a compact 1.5x5. It won't interfer with the hammer as bad, will have great short distance sight and enough power for two hundred yard shots. This is a great hunt and I wouldn't cut corners or comprimise my hunt for a scope that isn't right for the gun. That big scope will change the handling of a well balanced gun.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
I've got a 3x9 Leupold on my Marlin 336 in thuddy thuddy. The scope is big for the lever gun but not too much to handle. I've used it to pop wtails in MO in the thick timber. Decent low light and I have the thin crosshair with a dot in the middle. Comparing it to some buddies scopes, it's not as good in low light as a 50mm objective scope but it works since I already had it like you do. I lost maybe 5-10 mins of low light shooting compared to the 50mm guys.

TheGDog

For anyone who might happen to cruise across this old thread... I had a Vortex Crossfire 2-7x33mm on my Marlin 336... now, mind you, that Vortex is a good scope, but made an already heavy-ish rifle (for the field) feel even heavier and also kinda made it front-end heavy. Since then I've replaced it looking for something lighter, with faster target acquisition, and I came across a Weaver Classic V-series 1-3x20mm scope (Model #S49400).

I'd have to say this scope seems is ideal for a .30-30. With its 1x power you can very naturally keep both eyes open and acquire target like second nature. And on it's 3x power you should easily be able to aim for a Deer/Bear a nice healthy .30-30 distance away.

Top Bottom