scope power/fov

smokin54

Reaction score
I should have my .223 back from the factory in a few weeks and would like to have a scope here waiting for it .
What is the preferred magnification and feild of veiw by most of you for varmit/small game hunting ?
I have searched the archives on scopes and seen that there is a very strong folloing for Leupold but very little mention of preffered magnification or fov
Thanks

songdog

Reaction score
I prefer 2-7x and 3-9x.  I shoot probably 70% of the critters I call with the 2x or 3x setting.  You will definitely be better off trying to hit a 150 yard coyote with a 3x setting than a 20 yard coyote with a 12x.  If they stop out at 150 yards, take the time and crank up the power ring.

Finding a trotting coyote in a 12x scope at 20 yards is close to impossible.

jim in illinois

Reaction score
Smokin,
 I prefer the 3x9, I've got one on everything except for one rifle. I usually leave it on 3 and like songdog says"Crank it up if you have to"  Jim

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
I agree. You can always crank it up. I learned that lesson a long time ago....lost a deer because of having it cranked up.
I prefer Leupold for my hunting rifles. 3.5 x 10's on three of them, and for my hog rifle I prefer a 2x7.
I just personaly can't see the need for more power on a big game rifle.

Kernhuntr

bajabug

Reaction score
kERNHUNTER,                                       I see from your profile that you live in Bakersfield, Have you ever hunted yots at carizo? if you have, can you point me in the right direction? I drove along soda ash road as far as the camp ground and saw lots of dirt roads going up into the hills and wondered if it was legal to hunt their. Maybe some of you other yote hunters that are familiar with carizo would help me.                    Emilio    L.A. Ca.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Bajabug:

Welcome to Jesse's.  You really picked the right place and people to ask about California hunting.  We just had a JHP coyote hunt at Carrizo a couple months ago.  Unfortunetely it got rained out, but some of the die hards showed up anyway.  Several of the people here hunt Carrizo a lot, so I'm sure you'll get some good info here.  In fact I'm pretty sure our next JHP coyote-rama will be at Carrizo.  I'd help you out but I'm still looking forward to my first trip there.

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
bajabug, welcome.

The road you were on is called Soda Lake road. There are yotes all over that country. You can be on any of the roads up there as long as they are not marked otherwise. Just remember to stay on the roads and you'll be fine.

Kernhuntr

jmabbott888

Reaction score
I'm not sure if they still have the maps at the kiosk but if they do that shows the basic area, also the BLM office off of hwy 65 & 99 have the maps that show the public & nonpublic lands up there. Kern, you ever hunt up in carrizo on the left side of sodalake where the little cemetery is? I've gotten a few coyotes & jacks up there

Latest Posts

Top Bottom