Scored #11 and Wild Hog Jerky

Bigbadboar

Reaction score
So there I was, on JHO readin' all these blogs about hog huntin' and archery and $h@t like that when I realized I would rather be outside. Told my co-worker/rookie archer I was going out to the lake and had a good idea where some hogs were and he was "down" to come with me. We met up, loaded up, and were on the road at 5 am. Just had to make one quick stop at the cracker barrel for gas and red bulls before we were pulling in to The Roman Archer's Nature Photoshootin' honey hole ;) , aka Lake Sonoma, to try and take down a monster hog. On the boat ride out the hog hunt quickly turned into a porty potty hunt, which was successful hunt, and then resumed back to a hog hunt. Right around 7 am is when I beach landed my boat and politely told my co-worker to shut up and get ready. We had a thrilling encounter with a big ol' hog and we managed to down the beast with some arraw's by 7:30. The tally at the VC said 7 boars and 3 sows so far, so this one makes #11. And on a side note, I recently started jerky making, and if you don't already know Wild Hog makes for tasty jerky! Here are some pics...

View attachment 87407View attachment 87408View attachment 87409View attachment 87410
:No Trolls::mooning:

Fredezee

Reaction score
Nice and those are some nice cutters on the pig! That jerky does look good.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Wtg Carson! That's a good one for sure brother, suprize it didn't sink your boat....lol
That's cool that u had a Co archer with u to share the experience and memories and stories to always remember and talk about. That's the way to go get in early get out early. As far as the states on how many pigs have Been taken at the lake to date that's only what's been reported ,it's not required to report so who knows how many other hunters have been successful there this year that have not reported but they should so it shows that the program is benificial and necessary.
Super congrats my friend I guess u are going to give White mamba a run for the money at the lake this year.....lol
U are a great guy and hunter my freind super congrats! Jerky looks yummy!.....tra

Planetcat

Reaction score
Nice job! Great story too! Congrats. Can you share how you make the hog jerky? My butcher says it's not possible. I'm more than willing to make it myself.

Last edited:

Bigbadboar

Reaction score
Nice job! Great story too! Congrats. Can you share how you make the hog jerky? My butcher says it's not possible. I'm more than willing to make it myself.
I used the backstraps and removed all fat and silver skin. Then sliced about 1/2" and marinated for a couple of hours. Slices went into the dehydrator @ 160 degrees for 10 hours. 10 hours seemed a little too long as it was very dry, but that batch is the best jerky I've ever had.

Bigbadboar

Reaction score
Wtg Carson! That's a good one for sure brother, suprize it didn't sink your boat....lol
That's cool that u had a Co archer with u to share the experience and memories and stories to always remember and talk about. That's the way to go get in early get out early. As far as the states on how many pigs have Been taken at the lake to date that's only what's been reported ,it's not required to report so who knows how many other hunters have been successful there this year that have not reported but they should so it shows that the program is benificial and necessary.
Super congrats my friend I guess u are going to give White mamba a run for the money at the lake this year.....lol
U are a great guy and hunter my freind super congrats! Jerky looks yummy!.....tra
lol, yeah boat was at capacity. My co-worker was pumped to get a shot. He only nicked it and just missed it's heart, but apparently his broadheads (G5 Montecs) were sharp and it didn't flee the scene so I quickly put the second arrow through it. Was hoping to get him his first kill, but at least he got a piece of the action.

Bigbadboar

Reaction score
Nice and those are some nice cutters on the pig! That jerky does look good.
Good cutters...Old, mature boar. Lots of scars, very thick shield, split ears, and only one eye to boot? Maybe lost it in a fight with a pig, lion, or an archer...

KTKT70

Reaction score
Dam. Way to get it done. Wish it was always as easy as your story, but it shows that it can be done. Bbq time for sure. Congrats to both of yall.

thewolfman

Reaction score
Wow.... That jerky looks good... What's the recipe?.. Congratulations on the hog... LS is not easy

Bigbadboar

Reaction score
Wow.... That jerky looks good... What's the recipe?.. Congratulations on the hog... LS is not easy
Secret recipe in the making. Actually I got lucky and just mixed the basics without measuring (salt, pepper, soy, teriyaki, and a couple of other spices) and it balanced perfectly. Tried to duplicate it yesterday and didn't get the same balance, but it is still good. Sesame seeds in moderation...

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
You left out a pic of your Beach landing, love those kinda pictures, Maybe next time

Top Bottom