Scouted Dove

deadducks

Reaction score
Well I went out this morning at 0500 and headed to Niland to see what the birds were doing and try to locate some of them DWU fields.  I drove along the Highline Canal and saw many areas that a person could shoot a limit of birds.  Find a place that has some green vegitation and the birds were there.  If the area had a couple trees even better.  It seemed like most the areas along the canal a person can shoot legally.  Not posted or cultivated.  Let me know if Im wrong.  The DWU fields off of Davis/Howell/English had birds as well.  I got to that area around noon.  Most the birds were sitting under the bigger bushes in the shade, (see there not as dumb as we thought).  The temp. was 107 at that time.  At 0800 it was 94. I was unable to find most of the fields due to not understanding how to read the canal numbers and gate numbers.  If you know please post how.  Or better directions than whats mentioned in WON.  If your taking kids, or dog make sure you bring lots of cold water, drinks.  It got hot fast.  Most the fields have no shade either.  Hope this helps some of yoou out.  I can not shoot the opener, have to work.  

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
deadducks,

I take it you either a police officer or in the military, because of the use of military time. My cousin is a cop and does the same thing "I'll meet you at the golf course at 0600" LOL.
Did you see any pheasants along the cannal or on the DWU fields? I am planning a pheasant scouting/dove hunting trip on the last weekend of the dove season in mid-sept. and I am looking for a place to start cause I have never been down in that area before. Good luck on your scouting.

(Edited by Qbn Hunter at 5:22 pm on Aug. 16, 2002)

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I'm going out in the morning and will check out most if not all the field that DWU did this year and some other spots before heading down for some ground rat shooting.
I do know that at the JHP hunt out at wisters in march one of the field had about 20 pheasant in it.
WBH

deadducks

Reaction score
I hunt wister alot for ducks and geese.  I drove through there also.  I did not see any phesant anywhere.  I know there around.  I just didnt see any.  The fields I checked were not posted with the DWU signs.  I thought they were supposed to be posted.  If you can give better directions please due.  I do not hae a GPS to enter the coords given in WON.  I just went by road names and tried to find the gate numbers.  

Remshot

Reaction score
 Hey deadducks,just about all the Hi-Line canal and fields around it are huntable.A lot of the birds roost in desert and fly into the fields in the mourning.There's an orchard that is north west of Brawley across the Hi-Line along side the Coachella.Does any one remember if it Montgomery or McDonald rd. that crosses the canal? I'm thinking McDonald.

deadducks

Reaction score
REMSHOT,
I think you ment N/E of Brawley.  There are alot of birds in the trees on the east side of the canal.  Most of the water gates have a foot bridge you can walk across with ease.  I dont think you would need to drive over.  The birds I saw were in the trees right next to the canal.  Take a chair, get under or, next to a tree and have fun.  My map shows Montgomery goes over to Haley Rd.  The other road is Titsworth, which appears to stop at the Coachella Canal.  Im trying to get the day of from the O.C. Sheriff, but with it being Labor day weekend we are at full staffing levels.  My wife and best buddy, and his wife will be there shooting away.  Plus just bought the wife a new 11-87.  She picks it up 2-nite, and ges it fitted by Bob Collins 2-marrow.

Remshot

Reaction score
deadducks,you're right I met north east.The canal I'm talking about is the Hi-Line and there are a few bridges for vehichle traffic.That road will take you to that orchard on the Coachella canal.The road I'm thinking of not far from Brawley.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I got out late Saturday some one didn’t what to get up early ( MPMI ) and then didn’t show up at my place till almost 1:30 PM. I did see a good number of birds on the south end of the valley flying north south along the canals and rivers. Like Remshot posted wind stated to pick up just before nightfall.
WBH

Latest Posts

Top Bottom