Scouting Carrizo Plains/Big Sandy Wildlife Area

mhaller

Reaction score
Went scouting yesterday, only six birds seen south of Soda Lake by KLC campground. Took Soda lake road south and found some nice open areas with big bushes/trees, but saw no birds there. Also went up to Big Sandy and saw 9 birds flying in the evening. I'm not sure if we can hunt dove there or not. I have calls into the DFG, but no one will return my calls. Anyone hunt that area?

cjack

Reaction score
Hit it a during second season last year and same story, not a lot of birds.

IK13

Reaction score
Unless the proliferation of the euros in recent years has changed it, the publicly accessible part of Carrizo is really not a dove place at all.

EPic1856

Reaction score
I got picked for a "special hunt" there last year. It was short bus "special". I probably saw a total of 6 birds. I would not recommend it based on my experience last year.

IK13

Reaction score
The "special" hunts are supposedly in a "better" restricted area...guess how the rest of the place is then... :lol bashing sign:

perdizgunner

Reaction score
The only doves I've seen have been on the barb wire before the campground on the left hand side (west). And they were skittish as hell. I would think the closer west to private land the better....but I'm just a guessin.

mhaller

Reaction score
Scouted Big Sandy this morning, looking bleak! Upside, close to home, downside, lack of water AND BIRDS! I know they're around because we've seen them. Here's a question to everyone. Do you think dove stay in their roost longer in the morning when it's cooler in the morning? It was 64 degrees this morning, and I know in past Blythe hunts its 80-85 degrees at hunting time, and they're flying. I know the two are completely different but thought the morning temps change their habits?

Top Bottom