Scouting D-6

dusty20

Reaction score
Just got back from a 4 day pack in scouting trip and seen the largest
mule deer I have ever seen, at least 26- 28''. elevation about 9200'. In
2 days scouting, 1 days packing in and 1 day packing out I seen 4 legal
bucks. One was a nice 5 pointer, watched him for about 10 minutes before he bed down. He was a nice buck. Now the sighting of a life time for me was about 5:30 AM Wednesday. I
got about a 10 second look at him and he was gone. I spooked him from
his bed. He got that big by being smart and I'm sure I will never see him again but I will be trying when rifle season starts. I know wher he lives I just have to be in the right place at the right time again. He lives in some rugged country.

Backcountry

Reaction score
Good for you! It sounds like you're laying the groundwork for a sucessful hunt. This type of post gets folks excited. Good luck, and be sure to take some pictures to share!

Backcountry

MikenSoCo

Reaction score
Nice job Dusty, I also saw the buck of a lifetime in D6, also above 9000' I had my rifle in hand but was caught out of breath, with no rest for the rifle. That buck looked like he had come from New Mexico. I wonder if he's going to be there for the archery opener!?

prohunter

Reaction score
dusty20 good luck with that buck & welcome to JHO!

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Good job. I need to get up there in d6 and start scouting as well.
Looks like the big boys are way up as usual. Guess I'll start at the Pass.

dusty20

Reaction score
I will be makeing another scouting trip in mid August to check out another
area I have never hunted before so I will spend a week scouting. I figure I will
ride about 40 to 50 miles scouting to check out the country real good. This area will have to top the area I just got back from. All you guys that responded to my
post, thanks for your comments. I'm getting more excited the closer deer season
comes. Hope to see some of you out in the field.

dusty20

Reaction score
I forgot to tell you that I ride a buckskin mare and pack with a arib
mare. If you see me stop me so we can bs or ?

MikenSoCo

Reaction score
Howdy Dusty, I've been meaning to take my trusty steed up into the back country for quite some time. We've been hiring the packer for years. What and how much feed do you pack on the one horse to last the whole week? Man I got to get a good pack horse/mule. Any good books on the subject? Thanks, maybe I'll bumpinto ya up there, Mike

dusty20

Reaction score
Hi Mike, when I go into the back country I know thier will be grass for my horses and usually take about 30 lbs of weed free alfalfa pellets for both my horses, I use it for a snack in the evening time for them. I hobble them when thier feeding in the meadows and haven't lost one YET. I do notice that when they get full on the grass they like to go explore and thats when I can hike aways to fetch them. Usually I let them feed until I start seeing them looking around instead of eating and getting farther and farther away from camp, thats my Q to go fetch them. I usually don't ride to much after I set up my main camp, if I do ride I usually give them a days rest before I ride them again. This has always worked for me. Thier like us it takes about 3 or 4 days to get use to the elevation. When the weather starts getting cold then I'll take a 60 lb bag for a 7 day hunt. They lose a little weight but it has never concerned me as they are a little over weight anyway, on a 6 or 7 day hunt I will lose 10 lbs my self.

dusty20

Reaction score
Mike thier is a good book called Horses, Hitches and Rocky Trails, by Joe Beck, alot of good information. Thiers a video called Horse & Mule packing by Buckskin Outfitters. Hope this helps.

Hunter2003

Reaction score
One more question for you while your at it do you have a place on your own property to keep your horse. Or do you have it kept some where else that charges if you do keep it at a place that charges would you mind sharing the cost?

Thanks

Schoettgen

Reaction score
A pack animal is the only way to go Mike, even if you just walk em. On along trip I may pack dehydrated stuff like backpackers, a few potatoes, eggs and maybe a beer or two in aluminum cans for the end of the day. I used an old sawbuck and panniers for a long time but splurged a few years ago on a new Decker and really like it for hauling meat. The Mantee sling rope combo is hard to beat and the sling ropes and D ring set up make loading game easy. You need to go light on the way in to make room for the meat. A large bear will load you down fast. I have pushed 200 lbs one the haul home, 2 boned out bucks and camp. Thats about the limits.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom