Scouting Mt. Hood area

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for the Mt. Hood (#142A hunt) area? I was looking at the large burn area from last year's fire (Gnarl ridge), but really have no idea where to start. Stay in the Mt. Hood Wilderness or try the Mark O Hatfield Wilderness. Any thoughts?<O:p</O:p

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Start off of Cooper Spur Rd. off Hwy 35 and find your way up to Laurance Lake Dr. Take that road and there should be lots of N.F lands for you to hunt up there. The Gnarl burn is still too fresh, gotta give it at leat 3-4 more years before even hunt it. That burn actually pushed most animals into the surrounding hills. Last year we saw more deer and elk on the east side of Hwy 35 which is the White River Unit during the time the fire was burning.

Orygun

Reaction score
Try canyon bottoms after the first morning or so.

Know a couple of guys who live up there in the valley and they use tree stands. Deer gets pushed down to the Hood River Valley from the pressure above. In addition to NF there are some Hood River County forest parcels.

Harvest success is typically runs like most D zones. Some areas of course produce better than others. The unit never fills on the draw but does by the opener. There are a number of guys who score two bucks a season off that mountain. Antler size has decreased due to poaching, esp on the east side of the unit toward Hood River Valley as you get into the orchard areas. But there are still benchmark bucks that will score high enough for all but the most jaded and snobby trophy hunter. Damn pretty area to tote a gun in.

The wilderness areas around Mt Hood are thick with trees and non-hunting hikers, though it thins a bit by early Oct. Be on your most diplomatic behavior if your going to be on the main trails.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Any recommendations? North/South/West of Laurance Lake?
Scout all around Laurance. Like I said in one of your earlier post, find yourself a nice clear cut and glass along the edges. There's not much clear cut in the area but when you can find one to yourself, deer will definately use it all day long. If you have an ground blind, set it up and with great patience, you'll be supprise at what shows up. Like Orygun said, there are plenty of bucks.

Now if you're interested in the western part of the unit, the Zigzag Mt. areas is also worth checking out.

Reaction score
Appreciate all the info. I am looking to get as far off the path as possible. Your help has been invaluable.

Orygun

Reaction score
I posted this back in 2003. This is what's known as a benchmark buck. This is what you could run into in the Cascades. Elkbow, this one look like the guy your chasing?>

Attachments

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Could be Orygun. I'm gonna try to get him this year. He was a 4x5 and we'll see how big he's grown this year. I've got my fingers crossed.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
Orygun, here is the bucks left shed. Couldn't find his right side anywhere. Temecula, this kind of buck is what you'll find in the Mt. Hood NF grounds with lots of patience. Good luck to you this season and we'll be ready for a story.

Kentuck

Reaction score
My BIL lives in Hood River. We went up into the hills grouse hunting last Nov. and the area we went into had tons of rubs. Looked like a bucks main travel area during the rut. I couldn't tell you where we were though. First time there.

Reaction score
Any info?

I am going up next week to do my one and only scouting trip. Has anyone had any luck? I am not familiar with the area, any fires this season or anything I should know?

ORElkBow

Reaction score
I am going up next week to do my one and only scouting trip. Has anyone had any luck? I am not familiar with the area, any fires this season or anything I should know?
No fires that I know of around that area. Just came back from that direction last weekend while squirrel hunting. It's been quite hot lately here in oregon and the animals been out of site as usual, for me that is.

One thing I did notice though, is that the deer were out moving abouts more if the wind was just howling. If it's just dead wind and 90 degrees, hit the north slope. I saw lots and lots of does but no bucks except for the one another bowhunter shot. Good luck out here and be safe.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom