Scouting question

Pasco

Reaction score
First timer here so take it easy.  A little more than 4 weeks 'til opening day, I plan to scout every Sunday until then.  If I bring my dog along with me will this disrupt the behavior of the birds when the season comes around and I go alone?  The dog heels and won't bark or chase but I was wondering if her presence there that close to the season would make the birds change their patterns.

Not that big of deal to leave her home, but every time I go to the woods without her she won't come to me for a week!

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Since a turkey can detect almost any kind of motion from a great distance you may lessen your chances of seeing them or, more importantly, observing their movements and habits for any lenght of time.  The turkeys do not use their noses to any great extent so they may not smell the dog and if she's very quiet you may do O.K.

Try it once and find out.  I have found that on my scouting trips I sometimes have to wait long periods of time to actually see the birds even though I know that they are in the area.  Your pooch may get restless.  Let us know how things work out.

Possum

Reaction score
I would imagine that they have seen a dog, coyote, wolf, fox, etc... depending on where you live.  If the dog does not chase them then to them it is a passing predator.  However, your presence would probably do more to spook them than the dog would.  I scout from "normal" places.  Turkeys are used to seeing vehicles where I am and I scout from the truck.  We have a farm with cattle and they tolerate the vehicles.  Sometimes you can get within 20 feet of them.  Scouting for turkeys is a lot like scouting for deer.  Leave the "core" areas alone and scout the fringe (this being field scouting, tracks in roads, firelanes, talking to landowners, etc).  Then on the first day you can move in with the MRI possible and hunt undisturbed turkeys.  Good Luck!

Note:  during years that the logging companies come in a log my turkeys dissappear.  They can't take human pressure well.  I've had a turkey 600yds away take off when I stopped my truck for a look.  Some can get reeeaaallly spooky.

PowDuck

Reaction score
I've never heard of that but if it's like you say and the dog heels well and doesn't chase it should be fine. During long times of waiting the dog may just decide to take a nap. That's what my terrier does and it usually makes me want to do the same. :sleep:

Pasco

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.  Unfortunately my dear wife reminded me of my little league obligations on Saturday and church function on Sunday.  Next weekend for sure.:sun-shining:

Possum

Reaction score
Sounds like great things to do in place of scouting.  Being with your children and going to church - can't beat that.

Pasco

Reaction score
Yeah, Possum I agree completely, however, this reminds me of the way last season fizzled out.  

I'll sneak out early Saturday for a little skeet, the smell of burning powder puts me at ease.

Top Bottom