Scrounging For the Pieces

Stever

Reaction score
Newbie to electronics, if I was looking for a 555 timer or counter or reed relay what kind of stuff has those parts and could you scrounge them. I am not being cheap. It is just that someone here said get wire from printer cable, great suggestion. I also have old kids toys, cell phones, clock radios and other stuff, that would be great to recycle into trail cam parts.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Stever,
Scrounging through old stuff is one of my favorite ways to get parts to build things!  Made some pretty neat gadgets out of all sorts of discarded junk.  Yup, I AM a cheap bugger!

Printer cable/mouse cord is a great source of flexible, fine gauge wire.  Dead floppy drives often have super-fine gauge wire.
Computers are a source for all sorts of useful hardware - nuts, bolts, standoffs, etc.
In answering machines can be found relays, optocouplers, op-amps, all sorts of diodes, LEDs, sometimes a 555 or 556, numeric displays/drivers, motors, sound ICs.
VCRs are a gold-mine of assorted transistors and other parts - If you can properly ID them! Also usually have a remote control receiver module - lots of fun!
Kids toys have fun stuff too - switches, LEDs, sound ICs, light sensors, etc.

Sadly, as manufacturers switch to surface-mount components and micro-controller solutions, scrounging parts has become more difficult.  Tear apart cheaper electronic products to find through-hole components and discretes.

Get a CD copy of a manufacturers data sheets - try ST Microelectronics.  You'll need to identify any interesting ICs you might come across.

Test a product before ripping parts out of it - you'll have better luck using salvaged parts if you know what the operating voltage was - especially for electro-mechanical items like relays.

Finally - beware of using parts from a product that has suffered any major accidents - got soaked with water or fried by lightning etc.

Got a part# off of an IC that you want to try and identify?? check:
http://www.freetradezone.com

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I too, am a scrounger.  

I have organizers and jars of parts already removed, bits and pieces of TV's, PC's, toys, 8-tracks (oops, just aged myself), tubes, oops again, better get off what I got.....

For the past 30 years I've been meaning to throw away some of that stuff, and someday I will, maybe   :crygreen:

Nearly all my LED's on the cams came from a single, external 2400 Baud MODEM (got about 6)  I looked thru all of them trying to cabbage an OptoCoupler that would work on the shutter.....

BTW, if you got some junk you want to get rid of, I'l Q@#@TH#^#%@&^&@$G%%   o

Sorry, my wife says to ignore that    :cry-blue:

Possum

Reaction score
It's okay to be cheap here.  That's the name of the game.  My hardest part to find was the foam that I use to hold the camera in place.  I picked mine up out of the road on the way to the dump.  Got a big old piece-it is that black/grey kind that works so good.  The dollar store is a good place to buy wire.  I use the phone lines...50ft for a $1.  I get 4 strands, so about 200ft all together.

Joe DiMaggio sells a timer chip for about $10 plus shipping.  When built it is around 15-18 dollars total.  Includes 4 timer modes and a counter.  Great deal.  Not hard to build either.

(Edited by Possum at 6:16 pm on Nov. 16, 2001)

Top Bottom