Sealing Flash

woodseye

Reaction score
I just did a search for sealing the flash to the case. I found info on sealing shutter to case which I;ve done. I wonder if sealing the flash and surrounding it with reflective tape will send more light out the window and increase my flash range any. Bear with me if this has been discussed on a thread and i can't find. If it just makes a couple feet diff. it is worth it to me. I plan on doing side by side tests but its really cold out there and somebody must have some info on this to share.

woods

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Jesse has mention of using "Muffler" Aluminum tape around the flash on his Home-Brew Page.  I don't know where the idea came from, must have been from the old Tenn Forum Days where we all gathered at one time.

It makes sense that it would direct more flash out that way !  but I don't know how much it would really help,  I don't do it.  

To keep the flash out of the Lens, I do what you do and make a foam rubber gasket that seals the Shutter Lens at the enclosure hole.  That way the flash, even if (when) it leaks inside the housing, can't get in the lens........  Somebody, forgot who, sorry, came up with that idea a long time ago too, but it was after Jesse Started his own forum and not during the Tenn Forum Days.

Tinhorn

Applbit

Reaction score
I put tin foil around my flash when i made it. I dont know if it helps and but it certainly doesnt hurt.

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
i placed my camera in the woods behind my house to get some" field photos", at 4 am i was up and stood at my back french doors and it went off about 100 feet from me. the flash was unreal bright, it lit up my living room.  3 tymes...i was impressd and it was in woods!!!...the camera sez it has a range of 35 feet i think. at nite it is absolutely "flashy". although my pics were bleed into ...lol.. i had no pics ....fixed though! trial and error...    >-bohunter->

jayber

Reaction score
Interesting topic Woodseye!  While my immediate thought was that surrounding the flash would have to improve the amount of resultant light outside the box, I'm not so sure now.  We know that if the flash is not surrounded some of the light stays inside the box.  What I'm wondering now is, is the flash hole/orifice restricting and/or concentrating the light (?).  Afterall, flashes are designed to fan out and not spot, aren't they?   I surround the flash and not the lense.  However, I have not used foil.  I'd be interested to know what you find out, but as Tinhorn mentioned I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see.  Can you get your hands on a light meter to quantify the difference?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Jayber,

you bring up an interesting point about the flash hole size.  Occasionally I notice a half circle of flash on some of my pix's and some posted on the site.

In my case, the cam can move a little bit in the rubber Foam it's packed in, and the flash is just off center enough to cause the tunnel affect ( i think that's the problem anyway)  

I usually only look at the Lens to be sure it's not obstructed by the cam being too far off center and don't pay any attention to the flash's location.

BTW, (by-the-way) the cam's position is trapped there when I close the door, not while it's being carried or attached to the tree.  All I'd have to do is double check cam position and move it a little before closing the enclosure door.  Maybe I'll pay more attention to this detail

Good Point Jayber

Tinhorn

woodseye

Reaction score
in place of a light meter which I don't have,I'm going to set up two identical cams with new camera batterys in each. mount them to the same tree on the same nite and trigger one and then the other several times. looking into the woods I think it will be possible to see differences in light penetration thru the trees. same film same everything execept one will have flash sealed to case with foam and reflective tape other will not. Both already have shutters sealed to prevent bleed. i think the light that stays in case will exit with sealing i just don't know if it will be a noticable amount. The problem is its mid winter here and about 15 inches of snow on ground with 12 more on its way tonite. After storm I will do test but then it may be several weeks before i have enough pics to devolpe film. When devolped I will post pics and everyone can make up their own minds. Sound Good?

woods

jayber

Reaction score
Maybe a 'blind' sample of pics so that the audience doesn't know which is which (?).  And what's wrong with the deer where you are woodseye....haven't they grown long legs by now?!  LOL

woodseye

Reaction score
OK jayber, this pics for you. Taken on the same niteas bedded deer to show you how deep the snow was. The deer really was bedded you could see the bed in the snow(she wasn't up to her belly) and she had at least 12 inch legs LOL Right now the deer in my area are down in the cedar about a mile away and I don't want to slog down there. By the time I got down there all red faced and out of breath I would have forgot why I walked all the way down there. and if I left the cams down there with my luck we would get another 20 inches of snow and they would be in there till springHeHeHe

woods

(Edited by woodseye at 1:06 pm on Feb. 1, 2002)

coyotehunters

Reaction score
so if you seal around the shutter even if you have a leak around the flash you will still be in good shape.it is alot easier to seal the shutter.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Woodseye,

The reflective tape does make a difference.  I have used the older style cam trakkers while working on them for other people and the new style with the reflective tape.  They both had the same camera the Yashica T4 Super the flash out of the one with the tin foil type filled circle gave out a lot more flash.  The best evidence of this was when there was something at different distances that was reflective like deer eyes.  When you do your test put some reflective thumb tacks in trees at different distances and you can see the difference in the flash.  Make sure you put them out far enough to make a difference.
Just a thought for your testing.

woodseye

Reaction score
Like the idea Brian i will use some of my trail tacks at different distances out to say 60 feet. I believe it will make a difference but the test will show. I will keep all factors equal as possible. The cameras are identical. Keep the feed back coming guys It will make for a better test. Will post blind like jaber suggested and let everyone decide for themselves.

woods

INshedpicker

Reaction score
I'm guessing that if the camera is snug up against the front of the box, it won't make a lot of difference.  The cameras in the camtrakkers sit a bit back from the front of the box, so in my mind I thinks they would need more "help" getting that flash out.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I am really anxious to see the results WoodsEye, and I bet those Tacks will show a difference (if there is any)

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
:jaw-drop:   They really do have legs!!!!  HeHe  And I don't blame ya for not wanting to tromp around in the deep snow woodseye.....can be tiring work.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Here is a thought but probably no room in the housing,at least very little in my cams.
 What if you took 4 very small peices of mirror and glued them into a flared out tunnel,make the hole in the housing a tad bigger,maybe the flash would be stronger and more spread out as the mirrors reflect it in several directions(just like a flash light)
 Hmmmmm,i may have to look around for a thin Mirror and try that out hehe.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
or the reflector out of a flashlight, dremel took back the funnel where the bulb was until it fits properly

bradjenkins

Reaction score
I think I may have made a small mistake when I designed my enclosure.  I used a single piece of window glass to seal my shutter hole and flash hole.  I think that it may be causing the flash to "bleed."  Did anyone else make theirs this way and if so do you have this bleed on your pics?

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
brad r u kidding..lol go to my post "lenses problems" i did the same  read down to my post near bottom with the correction that i made...2 piece preferred for sure by me. lok at the pic i posted. before and after.....>-bohunter->

woodseye

Reaction score
I sealed mine with foam and then covered with DOT reflective tape funneling out. Its snowing terrible outside,has been since yesterday but i took cams in garage and put on test mode. The one with reflector tape looks brighter to the eye when it flashes. I can't wait to try them in woods but the weather isn't cooperating. My cams are really small so it is quite a job with tweazers to build these tiny flash boxes.

woods

woods

Top Bottom