season totals

Spec

Reaction score
We finished off with 451 ducks and 36 geese for or 4 man blind not to bad a season most of the time we only had 2 shooters in the blind and 1 dog!!

jerry d

Reaction score
Way to go Spec!!!

Looks like you be "Da Man" around these parts. Glad you had a great season.

By the way, is your club near the little store that has the great burritos. We shot a club on Nelson Road for a few years and visited that little store for lunch many times.

mudhen

Reaction score
300 birds, two hunters, mostly weekends and almost daily the last three weeks.  Pretty slow for the most part.  We had to stay later and hunt more days than in the past.  We hunt a bit east of LDC.

mudhen-CA

Litch

Reaction score
Hey Mudhen, we hunt a little farther East near Pennington Rd. on the north side of Colusa-Gridley Hwy. Our totals were nowhere near yours. I guess it is all about location as we did not see many ducks, but knew that there were plenty nearby. A couple of times after shooting time they were dive bombing us like mosquitos.

Megadeth

Reaction score
19 trips for 62 ducks and 3 geese, thats my total. All in all it was a decent season. Were already planning a weekend fishing trip. Now that the season is over, hopefully we can focus on brood ponds and water storage for a great local hatch. We have had plenty of water to provide for ourselves, now lets work on the bird population. Happiness is a brood of Ca. greenheads.

Spec

Reaction score
Jerry d my club is south of Afton on East Glenn rd about 1 1/2 miles East of the river it borders the Harder refuge!!

Woodduck

Reaction score
Up till the past two weeks was thinking this has been a dismal season.  But a nice limit a Dry Creek the weekend before closer helped.  And then heard that Sutter was opening Saturday.  Made the trek and got in line....#5.  Boy was it worth it!  Best hunt of my life Saturday.  Seven greenheads, including a band, two specks and a snow with 22 shells.  Sunday was meager by comparison, but still got 4 ducks and two geese.  So I ended up on a real high note.  71 birds in 14 hunt days.  35 Mallards, 4 Sprig, 12 geese, and a number of others.  What a nice way to end it!  Had a fresk speck for dinner last night with a good Cabernet.  It was beautiful!

hntndux

Reaction score
I finished the season off at SAC on Saturday and 3 of us had limits by noon along with one goose.  Best part was 11 of the 21 were mallards...  My season total is up from last year at 91 and 3 geese (honker, spec, snow).

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I don't keep a bodycount on ducks, although if I did it would've been scant to say the least this year.  The salt pond experiment is over, and probably won't be repeated.  

I hunted Saturday in the blind, and saw 0 ducks from shoot time until 0800 when I said, "the heck with this" and packed it in.  One bufflehead strafed me as I headed to the hill, but I don't care much for the taste of those little guys.  

All the shooting I did hear was, I'm fairly certain, directed at buffleheads, because I never saw birds in the air.  But anyway, I had errands to run, and a beautiful day for horseback riding.  

Sunday morning, at 0430 I raised the blinds, looked out at the stars in the crystal clear sky, and crawled back under the covers.  It's the first closing day in over 15 years that I didn't hunt.  There just was no point.  

Went out about 0930 with BigDog to collect the decoys and get our stuff out of the blind.  Saw one distant flock of ducks over the Bay.  Heard shooting, but again, think it was all done at buffleheads.  I don't understand what makes people shoot those things... unless there's a cooking trick that I'm unaware of, they taste about the same as a coot.  

Anyway, next year it's back to the refuges, and maybe a canoe trip up a river or two.  But as always, a bad season in the duck blind is better than a perfect season spent doing yardwork.

CaRudeDogg

Reaction score
I took my 21 yr old son out the last Sat he never wanted to hunt with sports and all during his childhood just came up and said hey dad can i go with you. He does not have his lic yet but i said sure we went to volta. i set up and had a couple come in nothing exciting. went for a short walk later in the morning dropped a Greenhead and walked and talked about hunting. packed up and started out i was talking and not paying attention when he says right there jumped a couple mallards dropped the drake let the hen go. finished with 2 greenheads, hen spoon and drake bufflehead.
was one of the better days hunting i have had talking and just enjoying the day with my oldest son. seems i will have a hunting partner next year a big plus with both my younger boys wanting to hunt now i am really lookiing forward to next year with him and my 2 jr hunters

d trees

Reaction score
Well here goes.
12 hunt days mostly at wister this year.

38 ducks
9 geese mix of ross and snows.
spent to many days at union tract hunting geese or my duck totals woulda been a little higher.d

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
hunted 26 days. 11 days goose eggs including 7 days did not fire a shot. 45 ducks, 1 daughter and 9 geese including my first california speck and first Cibola honker.

Baldplate

Reaction score
Compared to the rest I either need to practice more at the target range this off season, or learn to eat ducks 265 days out of the year.Anyways a fair season was had with my family and friends and I harvested 28 ducks and 0 geese.A side benefit was I got to talk with alot fellow sportsman on this forum about the sport of waterfowling which I love so much and as long as the good lord lets me stay above ground until next season, I will be back for more memories.

yellowwaterdog

Reaction score
For 14 days, I had 42 ducks.  January saved the season with 20 ducks in 4 hunts.  Had a couple great hunts at San Luis, Kern and Wister (yes, Wister -- we spend the afternoon (after shooting our one each) watching Pintail work and land in our decoys.)

I had a lot of really long days with very few ducks during November and December including two shotless days one Wister, one San Jacinto.  I am going to rethink my season next year, just because DFG and USFW say the seasons open doesn't mean I have to believe them!  Anyone for reopening the split season arguement?

Duckit

Reaction score
Started out as a very good season in Oct. Nov and early December then it slowed considerably for me.  Lookin through my log it is surprising to see how constant the season numbers are. Another year with 35 hunts and enough ducks and geese to get me startin to think about next season already!

arizona jim

Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to say but here it goes. 2 drake mallards, 1 hen mallard, & 1 drake GW Teal. - 5 hunt days. I guess Az just wasn't that great for ducks this year.

Well I still had fun; & thats what it's all about !!

Possum

Reaction score
arizona jim, why be embarrassed?  Let me take the embarrassment from you.  Due to the drought and the duckponds being deerponds, Possum's big tally:  Tah Dahhhh - 1 greenhead!  Tine to dig a well!

tuledoghollywood

Reaction score
this year was good for me
 127 ducks ( 52 mallards- 16 sprig)
 26 geese all honkers
 2 bands  (1 mallards- 1 honker)
can wait till next year

between my brother and my other buddy they had 214 ducks  (98 mallards) and the had 18 geese  
2  bands  1 mallard  1 cinn teal  

hronk

Reaction score
16 Honkers, 5 Snow/Ross geese and 8 ducks. My Jan. was way below normal, but Dec. was velly, velly, gooot to meee......hronk

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Baldplate,
Blair we watched you make some pretty good shots a Colusa, it ain't the shooting - it's where you're shooting.  NoCal just has more to offer than SJ and Wister.  I pigeon shoot near SJ and it just doesn't look like LDC does it?  Have a good off season and maybe Ace can chase a few for you next year.

I had a pretty good season.  No complains other than season just not long enough, try getting somebody in the MS Flyway to believe that.  You got to love BBQed Mallard.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom