Season Update

Irish Lad

Reaction score
I don't know about you folks but everthing I have read says this might be the worst season for watrefowl in SoCal. I belong to a duck club by San Jacinto and it has been very slooooow all year. We normally average 3-5 ducks a person most days. This year not even 1. We are running out of time to salvage the season!  I know weather is important but there must be something else. Any thoughts?

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
I L,

I love years like this, most of the weekend YAHOOS stay home so crowds tend to be less, we have a better chance of getting the spots we want on the refuges we hunt.  Most of the birds this year are mature and very wise, it's years like this that we learn the most, we're hunting very shy birds and the little success we're having is well earned.  Oh well, it's still better than staying home, right!

huntducks

Reaction score
I also agree with that Kid.

Always seems that I get the Dove hunters with waders next to me, or is it that there are enought to go around for everyone.

They will be scuring the next few weeks to get there $25 in stamp money worth, and shoot up there 5 box's of steel they got for Xmas or have left.

WISTER HERE THEY COME.

Irish Lad

Reaction score
We don't get any dove hunters at our club, skyscrappers now and then. I wish we had mature birds to fool. We just aren't seeing very many birds at all!

Greenhead

Reaction score
Duck hunting is one wierd addiction, uh, sport. Last year I was able to hunt any day I chose, and had the worst season in over a decade. Yet, I continually talked with guys who were having an awesome year.

This year it's weekends only for me, with maybe a Wednesday or two later in the season, and I'm having a great year. But, I've talked to many guys who are depressed, broke, tired and upset over the lack of birds in the bag. I've decided that sometimes the duck gods smile on you and sometimes they give you the vertical smile. Either way, there's always next season.

Hope it picks up down South, in a hurry.

songdog

Reaction score
"Dove hunters with waders..."  I've always struggled with how to describe them and that's it.  Hit the nail on the head.

huntducks

Reaction score
Greenhead I put it all in perspective sometime I win and most of the time the ducks win.

Songdog you like that, no truer words have been spoken and it's just the way it is.

I remember when the Bantail limit was 5 everybody and his brother hunting, at 2 empty area's.

Maybe 4 ducks would do the same????

How about a shoot & release season LOL.

CaRudeDogg

Reaction score
I know after being out of it for a couple years Im having a really bad year just getting to know the areas again and my calling really stinks even with all the practice. I did get a ressie for Merced this Sat so I hope it will make up for my slow year.

Chris

Reaction score
I also had a lousy season last year, but this year has been ok...still can't pull a ressie to save my life!

Top Bottom