Second Half Dove Season

Irish Lad

Reaction score
Swiss Lad and I had a good dove shoot(limits)yesterday. We went by El Centro. How has everyone else been doing?

uhunter

Reaction score
Good job Irish, i have been having a great dove season my self hunting on camp pendelton limits everytime lots of birds and great shooting. Time to switch for quail however

Mojave

Reaction score
A million doves flying around the desert - but we usually seem to see them when we are on the way to work! As soon as we get clear of chores and work, the season will be closed, and we will feed them, instead of shooting at them.

JesterSoCalifa

Reaction score
A few Doves being taken in my posse, all pass shooting while chasing Quail. Limits of "Top Knots" have become common and very very weekly. Never taking more than needed out of one covey and resting and alternating the covey's from location to location during a days hunt. In years past three or four birds used to be a good harvest but these regular limit days are going to spoil me. Will always stay humble and feel blessed to enjoy any days in the field or on the water. Shoot straight and safe and may all have a safe and merry Christmas! PS:I feel for anyone who has to join their spouse shopping on the day after xmas, c/ya in the field.

bloodsports

Reaction score
I had a great second half hunting the Cheveron fields around Maricopa.  I also found alot of birds around Kern Refuge..  

Irish Lad

Reaction score
Jester,
In what general vicinity are all these quail at? I would rather shoot quail than doves.

hntndux

Reaction score
This was the best second half I've had.  Only got to get out 4 times, but managed limits each time.

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
That's good for the northern part of the state hntndux.  There are always plenty of doves in the Imperial Valley but the trick is to find them.  I always thought that most of the doves would be gone from the North after awhile but I guess there are tougher birds there to be had.  I understand the migration but don't understand how the same species of morning dove tolerates/or doesn't largely different climates.  Have made 10 different dove runs this season and limited every time.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Made a run out to the Imperial Valley on Monday after a buddy (and LURKER!!!) told me of a hotspot.

Got out near Brawley around noon and didn't see anything, so I checked out some favorite spots along the Alamo.  Flushed a few quail and took two doves.  Got some lunch and went back to the hotspot.  My buddy said that it had been active mostly in the evening.  Boy was he right!  There were birds everywhere.  The spot was an enclosed feed barn and looked like they left some seed outside.  Doves were circling around just to get their last meal for the day.  They were flying high, but I was able to knock a few down.

Didn't get a limit, got 6, but overall it was a great day!

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
That's the only problem with doves.  If you miss them feeding, roosting, and/or watering you'd think there weren't any for miles.  But when you do find them they usually insist on staying no matter how many of their friends they see you shoot.  That field of left to seed milo to the East of town South side before the curve looks like any other field but for one day and only one day I couldn't push the birds out of it.  If I hadn't seen some go in I would never have pushed it.  Most of my hunts go like that.  One day there then never to return a day later.

hntndux

Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a spot that I've hunted for years and it's only good from 3:30pm til end of shoot time.  Get there before 3:30pm and you won't see a dove, after 3:30 you can't keep your gun loaded.  The doves I'm shooting are migrating in flocks of 20 or more and they love a freshly planted wheat field.  My secret honey hole was discovered this year though so I need to get tough and post the property.  I've always just relied on verbal permission, but in order for F&G to enforce it I need written permission.  I can really get on a role here so I'll spare everybody and just say I've got some work to do before next year.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom