Security Idea

MBullism

Reaction score
I already use modified 50 cal ammo cans for cases, chain and/or cable with disk padlocks.  Still the evil boltcutters roam the woods...

One of the TOUGHest things I've ever had the misfortune to have to cut through was a tire.  I was thinking a 4 to 6" wide strap of steel reinforced sidewall or tread.  I'm sure I can come up with a way to adjust/lock it, but I have never tried bolt cutters on it.  I don't want to invest in a pair to test it if I don't have to...

Anyone ever tried this, or have any experience cutting this stuff.  If there is an easy way to cut it that I don't know about, I don't want to waste my time chasing my tail...

Any input would be appreciated

M

woodseye

Reaction score
Great idea except tires put off a lot of strong odors and even a small piece would be hard to hide. Up here where I live they would just get out the chainsaw(everybody seems to have one)and cut the tree off above the cam a little. Hey if they will steal a cam cuttin a tree won't faze em. Only takes a minute.I think hiding and not putting out in easy to find areas is the best defence. To answer your question I think they cut tires with saw lubricated with water? At least thats how they used to.

woods

woodsman

Reaction score
Hello I work in a tire shop I can say with experience that cutting a tire is a suck job , I have tryed it all, no way even after cutting it with a hand saw your arms will feel like butter and after you do you will have no strenth to carry out the cam  Cutting the tree will be faster and less work  I can't wait to see what you come up with .

MBullism

Reaction score
Hi woodsman,

Nice to see you made it...  I'm not sure about the smell thing.  New tires yeah, maybe old ones after you cut them,  something to consider.  I guess my biggest concern would be bolt cutters.  I could strap it to a VVVEEERRRYYY big tree  :spin-yellow:

Still a thought in progress

M

russ

Reaction score
Hey MBullism I make tires for a liveing and help QC cut them.We have a large bandsaw to cut tread and sidewall.For the bead we use a hydralic cable cutter and it still is hard.I dont think anyone would make it through with a pair of boltcutters.

Top Bottom