• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Seeking EXPERIENCED Deer Hunting Buddy (Mentor) for D13 Zone for October-November So Calif Hunt.

EricLA

Hello All,
I'm seeking a very experienced deer hunter with all the equipment, including the vehicle to be my mentor/hunting buddy for a DEER hunt sometime in LATE October, early November in the D13 zone (Southern California). My preference would be to find someone that lives in Southern California to buddy up with, so we can sight in our rifles together. I currently hold one deer tag for D13 zone and have the rifle with some limited other gear. I did a hunt many years ago, but not for deer and ended up not bagging any game. I'm open to go with a hunting group or just with one other experience deer hunter.

My preference would be to hunt on private land or a ranch, but if there is no other choice but to hunt on public land that's fine. Of course safety is paramount especially on pubic land.

Considering it's now mid September, time is of the essence for planning the hunt, sighting in the rifles and if we can hunt on private land or a ranch to reach out to those land owners for the hunt. I look forward to replies as soon as possible. Let's have a good hunt!

Bigolwiggler

Eric. I have read your post a couple of times . I cant figure out if you are being serious or trying to make a funny .
If you are serious , then I hope that you are not too dissapointed with the results you may get on such short notice.
Generally ones trust must be earned before "" a very experienced deer hunter with all the equipment, including the vehicle "" ...... would invite you along for a multi day hunt.
There are plenty of guys here who are very willing to help as they get to know you.

Most of us dream about having private land or ranches to hunt on . Those privileges are generally earned from the landowner over a long period of time. I once have hunting rights on 4 adjoining ranches . It literally took YEARS to make that happen only after gaining a lot of trust . I no longer live in that area so I dont hunt there anymore. You can get some private land to hunt with lots of $$$ in some cases. I don't have that.

Deer hunters are generally planning for their "next" hunt, off and on , a year in advance ....... so I can understand your seemed desperation to put something together on such short notice.

I started my deer career mostly camped out by myself . I knew very little and made a LOT of mistakes in the pursuit of bucks. I would bump into other hunters from time to time in the field and I was like a sponge for information....... a very courteous and thankful sponge....offering them help with what-ever , if they needed it .
Buck hunting is a way of life and its successes bring many rewards.
It seems like your enthusiasm is genuine and I understand it . Keep at it and it will pay off.

Generally , the things that you are seeking don't come "that" easily.....BUT .... there are people here to point you in the right direction for sure. Some have better info than others as with all people.

I met my future long term hunting partner right here on this site. We have hunted 12 seasons in a row. The first time we met up ...... I asked where he would be camped and that " I might stop by to meet him " . After a few days of hunting , I did just that ( well , I did want to show off my 4X4 buck to him also ; ) Mostly , I just wanted to size the guy up a little bit before we built any kind of friendship. The rest is a 12 year history. We have not always got along perfectly over the years but we were both fairly extreme hunters so we overlooked each others faults at times so we could hunt the places that we like to hunt. We are both getting older now and are mellowing and more tollerant . That happens with time.

Tell us a little about yourself....... are you old enough "not" to ask your parents for permission to go on a hunt ? ; ) Im just pokin' fun. I started hunting when I was 10.

Best wishes, I hope you have a long and successful hunting career. People here will help.

BOW

canamrider07

If Eric grew up hunting, he probably would have better hunting "eitquitte" and hopefully not come off as so demanding. So, I can't blame him for asking. I guess it is the sign of the times "I want what everyone else has, but don't expect me to pay for it".. Nothing personal Eric. good luck.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Patience. It's probably the hardest thing to learn about hunting. Some people have none and it breaks them.

dabob

With the coyote, bear and lion numbers so high in D-13 the deer numbers are way down. I get to hunt private land in the D-13 zone and I only see about 10% of the deer we saw 15 years ago.

On my trail cameras I see way more lions and coyotes than I see deer.

canamrider07

It's not just coyotes, bear, or Mt. Lions, it's lack of water over the years and over hunting. Easy access from OHV trails make any spot within a short, relative, hike in 11 & 13 on the public land. And I really doubt those animals you mentioned are in high numbers. Ask anyone if they have seen any? I never saw any. Wildlife numbers are way down in those zones. I keep saying it, everyone disagrees, yet no pictures???? So what are the coyotes and lions eating now???

dabob

It's not just coyotes, bear, or Mt. Lions, it's lack of water over the years and over hunting. Easy access from OHV trails make any spot within a short, relative, hike in 11 & 13 on the public land. And I really doubt those animals you mentioned are in high numbers. Ask anyone if they have seen any? I never saw any. Wildlife numbers are way down in those zones. I keep saying it, everyone disagrees, yet no pictures???? So what are the coyotes and lions eating now???
They are eating whatever they can.

The private land I am hunting, it has not been over hunting that has the deer population so low. Even on the drier years there is plenty of water on this ranch. We have had a fair amount of rain for the last 3 years.

The main part of mountain lion's diet is deer meat. When a bear takes over a lion kill or coyotes find a lion killed deer the mountain lion has to kill another deer.

I get lions, bears and especially coyotes on my trail cameras all the time. The lions and bears are pretty much nocturnal so even if you are in bear and lion country you won't see them in the day time very often.
39833934295_00d8e36035_c.jpgMFDC4067 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
48760976677_7b4078d0b0_c.jpg749 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
48760787011_4d733dc7e8_c.jpg755 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
In the two bear pictures you can see the second lighter colored bear was less than 3 hours behind the dark black bear. They are both pretty big bears.

Last edited:

canamrider07

They are eating whatever they can.

The private land I am hunting, it has not been over hunting that has the deer population so low. Even on the drier years there is plenty of water on this ranch. We have had a fair amount of rain for the last 3 years.

The main part of mountain lion's diet is deer meat. When a bear takes over a lion kill or coyotes find a lion killed deer the mountain lion has to kill another deer.

I get lions, bears and especially coyotes on my trail cameras all the time. The lions and bears are pretty much nocturnal so even if you are in bear and lion country you won't see them in the day time very often.
View attachment 75555MFDC4067 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
View attachment 75556749 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
View attachment 75557755 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
In the two bear pictures you can see the second lighter colored bear was less than 3 hours behind the dark black bear. They are both pretty big bears.
I said Public Land in D11, 13. And is your camera date correct? Because all those are old pictures. Last year someone here said there was an "over abundance" of does in D11 because they have not been hunted? And now you are saying there are very few deer. Until I see actual proof, pictures of game being taken, a correct date on a trail cam or if Cjack tells me he is seeing something, then I will believe it.

dabob

If you think there is plenty of deer and not very many predators because you don't see the predators I think you are mistaken.

Now that bears can no longer be hunted with hounds the bear population will get even higher than it is now.

The rancher saw 4 bears eating on a dead cow. So we put a trail camera pointing at the dead cow. In 6 days we got over 600 pictures with bears in them.
48761365456_391e754aec_c.jpgIMG_0412 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr
48761050078_2d307f4fef_c.jpgIMG_0244 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
There is 6 bears in the second trail cam picture.

canamrider07

okay for the last time, on public land, d11,13 all wildlife is at very low levels, deer, bears, coyotes, etc. Now it is much different on private land as your pictures show...Lots of bearsssss.Thanks

Last edited:

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Holy chit dabob, u have more bears and cats then Alaska and Montana, I hope I never see u on that tv show “I WAS PREY”...lol...tra

Top Bottom