Selective "Service"

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
It sure is selective, all right. When my boys turn 18, they're required to register with the Selective Service "in the unlikely event that the draft is re-instated." Yeah, right.

BUT. Now that the Defense Department has lifted all gender-based restrictions on military service, why aren't our daughters required to register?

It's a serious question. I don't want your daughters killed in military service, but I don't want my sons killed either. It's nothing short of sexual discrimination by the federal government. And we all know what it means to service someone, don't we? Who's going to sue?

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Here again it is a small (minuscule) majority of "I am woman hear me roar" that are pushing this issue, and I am sure even in the military it is a very small percentage of in listed women that are fighting for it. It is asinine for a Nation to send its women into combat situations, its bad for the men and for the women all the way around. If you have a hand full of gun hoe bull dikes that are demanding to fight let them, But leave the rest of our women alone. Women have never been drafted and I hope they never are, I do not like seeing our Sons and Fathers go to war, but there are times we must defend ourselves. Its a sad state of the world we live in!

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
In Israel, it is mandatory that women serve. In fact, a little over 1/2 the officers are women. I seriously doubt Israel would still be around if women didn't serve; ah the realities of a country needing every abled body person to be trained to defend their country.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
But then again we are not Israel, Kinda a apple to orange comparison there Bubble

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
I know, we've been rather spoiled for a whole long time, I sure hope it continues.

inchr48

Reaction score
84% of the 18-29 year olds exiting the Iowa Caucasses were supporting Bernie Sanders. Shows what our future holds. Perhaps a dose of mandatory Military service would give them a better viewpoint of America.

ltdann

Reaction score
When I was 18, dad drove me to the post office to register for selective service. He stood over me while I filled out the card and turned it in. Years later, I received a letter informing me that I hadn't registered and it was a felony and the full weight of the Federal Government was about to drop on me and squash me like the little bug I was.

I politely sent them a nice letter, informing them that I had registered because Dad made me. And if they wanted to come and get me, I could be found onboard USS Jason, currently deployed in the Persian Gulf, dodging mines. I provided a copy of my military ID if they wanted to double check.

Strangely, I never heard back from them.....good times.

I think women should register for the draft, after all, they are citizens.

Last edited:

eoats

Reaction score
+1
All citizens should register.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
84% of the 18-29 year olds exiting the Iowa Caucasses were supporting Bernie Sanders. Shows what our future holds. Perhaps a dose of mandatory Military service would give them a better viewpoint of America.
Inchr said it best. What goes around, comes around.

Opah, I hear you, but one point on my mind is that when a few feminists get on a soap box, most other women are all too ready to egg them on. However, this "victory" has consequences. Don't misunderstand me; I'm all for women's rights, but if they want the rights, they need to (man up?) and take the whole enchilada instead of pick and choose what they want to eat out of the salad of life. If they can handle the job of full combat, "YOU GO GIRL!" but if they want it, they should have to suffer the same dread we do and if they don't like that? ... Head to the voting booth along with me and let's work to change it. But don't dodge it.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
I have no Issue's with all being required to register , men and woman. all have a place and a duty to assist in the defense of our country. I just feel that woman in combat distract, it is in a mans nature to protect the family woman and children and this can foul up the reasoning of any a good solider. Can we progress past this and have a true equality I don't think so, it is not in our design.

ltdann

Reaction score
I work with young Marines, male and female, everyday. They don't have an issue serving together....it's normal to them. It's about leadership and the organizational climate. If the folks that are firing from the berm don't have an problem with it, neither do I.

When rounds are flying, there's no such thing as non-combatants and it's ridiculous think otherwise. Everybody better be shooting back.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
According to the news this morning, they are looking at a 100% registration bill that would require both genders to register

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
If you never read Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers, I highly recommend it. Not the movie. The movie is a disrespectful parody of the book. The book is billed as a work of science fiction, but its really a political treatise and the sci-fi is just a plot device that moves the political discussion along. Basically, the future of humanity looks like a space faring republic with imperialist tendencies over other species. Human beings are born with basic rights that we would recognize from our Bill of Rights. However, voting and holding office are not inherent rights they are privileges earned thru voluntary service in the government or the military. After many years of service, a person may become a "citizen" and win the privileges of voting and running for office. Regular persons are as free to be as dumb and liberal as they want (you'll see liberals referenced in the book), but citizens generally all come out conservative because of their time in service and the ideological training that goes with it. This neo-conservative society of earth is juxtaposed against a hostile race of hive-minded insects that represent Communism.

Point is, we ere when we assume everyone should have the right to vote by simple reason that they've been born or became American. Our Founders didn't think that.

Concerning women in the draft, its probably just that legislation has not caught up to the times, probably for political reasons. Causing all girls of military age to register is going to bring attention back to the draft and probably cause the public to call for it to totally be done away with. The government wouldn't want to lose the ability to reinstate it in the future when its necessary or expedient.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
I agree Bruce the Daughters of our Politicians should be up front and center, showing their support and willingness to meet their obligation to their country. wonder what the age limit is? 18 to 21 to start or just as they turn 18 and all the 19 and above don't have to. It would be something watching Taylor Swift portraying Private Bingerman

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
What is the upper age limit on draft notices? I'm on the north side of a half-century, so I think I'm pretty safe, but up until my sons are safe, I think our daughters should adhere to the same rules.

ltdann

Reaction score
The upper limit for military draft is 36 years old and up to age 45, for 57 different specific skill sets i.e. health care providers. In general though, the draft begins with age 20 first.

If there ever is a draft again, you can bet your patootie, they'll be drafting medical folks and recalling to active duty medical folks in droves, regardless of age.

If you're a retired military and did...say 21 years and went into inactive reserves. You can be recalled until the date you would have completed 30 years of active service.

During OEF/OIF we had quite a few medical reservist's who were recalled well past age 45, and not happy about it either.

Top Bottom