Selling Cams?

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 To the persons that made it possible for us to build the homebrew cams.

Would you mind if I made these to sell?
 Also do any one of you know if this would be legal?

Dont want to step on any toes,and dont want to get prosecuted for copyright theft ect.......
 If the persons that figured all this stuff out dont want me selling these units just say so and ill sell or trade among my freinds only.

JohnnyP

Reaction score
My .02 cents.  I would rather they weren't sold for profit or business.  This has been a group effort from the begining with most of the credit of keeping it all together to Jesse, I would say his input should have the most weight

Drayton

Reaction score
I love this site! The information that has enabled me to build my own game cam is priceless! Always wanted one but couldn't fit it in the budget. However, the freedom to use this information to manufacture and sell game trail cameras is just good old capitalism and as American as our flag and apple pie (and they sell flags & apple pie)

Good luck to anyone who wishes to sell cameras. I'm keeping mine.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 This is the reason im asking,I dont want to make anyone angry for selling them.
 But id like to here from those who gave this info to us,it is thier time and work that made it possible for us to build them,if they mind i will not start building them to sell without thier permision.
 And yes I seen the one on ebay,and that is what prompted me to ask this.
 But there are also some hunters out there that would never have one because they would never build one,hence they can buy a homebrew much cheaper than buying a cam trakker,knowing what we know now these 400.00 units are extremely over priced,looking in one of my magazines i see a Cam Trakker for "ONLY" $429.00,a Phantom Hunter is "JUST"$319.00(2 for $599.00).
 If it costs $100.00(i kept track)to build one then your time,and it sells for $150.00 I dont think its taking advantage of anyone,they are getting what they thought they would never be able to afford.
 But agian I wanted to ask permission and DO NOT want to step on toes,your oppinions are valuable to me for this reason,if im told no then it will be so.
 Thanx
 I wait for Jesses oppinion as well as the others who thought this all up.
 So far i have built one for me and one for a very very good freind and hunting partner for no cost to him,kinda a late birthday gift from me.

(Edited by Passthru at 6:43 am on Oct. 8, 2001)

Arrowhead

Reaction score
My opinion only.....

I would think the founders would take some offense to it although they may not say it publicly. They started this because of their love of tinkering and sharing it with others is a blessing for all of us that have the same love but not the drive to put it all together and publically share it.

Again this is just my opinion.

If you do start selling them, be prepared to get hammered. All the post's you see in this board regarding problems will be aimed at you. Film didn't advance, didn't rewind, flash keeps going off, bla bla bla bla bla. You will be the man. It may work fine when it leaves you but what happens when the guy gets it and there is a problem. What happens when the PIR guy change designs? Do you post a message asking for  support on your next project? Good Luck, maybe someone will sell you the updated plans.

It's hard enough face to face dealing with people. But when email gets involved it can be a nightmare. I am sure Jesse can attest to it.

Seems like a short term gain that may end up being more problems than profit.

Again, just my .02 cents worth.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 You are right,they may not voice this publicly,and after just a few oppinions on this topic I have decided that it is Not the right thing to do,so I will not be selling them,If someone wants one from me I will keep it at cost or direct them to this site so they can build thier own.
 I thank you guys for being honest with me on what you think,I asked first as I felt it was the right thing to do.and the wisdom i received prevails.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Passthru,
I've been selling my cams to friends & neighbors for years.  I first give them the schematics and tell them how to build their own if they want.  I also post my schematics for anyone to do with as they please.  I like to think of the whole trail-cam idea as "open source" - Sell it, copy it, do what you want, - JUST DON'T PATNENT/COPYRIGHT IT!!  The ideas should remain open to everyone!

Archilochus

Matt in MO

Reaction score
I've got three and the film developing bills are beginning to arouse "The One Who Must Be Obeyed". Might sell one after deer season! Don't mind at all if someone tries to make money on 'em. Frankly don't think they realize how much they "cost".

Might add that JoeD's timer works great. I didn't expect to care much about the event timer, but it's neat! One gamecam had the 24 photos, but 85 events had been recorded!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I have sold some for $175 (maybe 5) to some friends, friends type things

here is about half of the 1st page of a booklet I came up with for them.  As the old-timers can see, it's a little dated

<font face="courier new">
Movement Camera

This Movement Camera is Homemade from the instructions noted at the below Internet site.

Your Risk:

As stated above, this unit is Homemade and there is no guarantee with this Movement Camera.  The Unit consists primarily of a modified Point and Shoot Camera with a Motion Sensor taken from a Flood Light electronically hooked up to it.  Since both of these items were tampered with during construction, the Factory Warranty is VOID, which means if they go bad, it's your loss.

Having Said That:  No Movement Camera Units have failed to-date!!!!

Thanks go to the Folks on the "Do It Yourself" Forum at http://www.tndeer.com/ who came up with the Final Design of the Home-Brew Movement Camera.  Also big thanks goes to Jesse's Hunting Page at http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/homebrew-cams.html who combined all the good ideas from the Tenn Forum to a central location.

Features:

Blah   Blah

</font>

(Edited by Tinhorn at 2:01 pm on Oct. 8, 2001)

Welby

Reaction score
There's a big difference in building and selling these cams to friends for a profit AND building and marketing these cams for profit.

For example, some folks just don't have the sense or ability to build these things, regardless of how easy we've made it.  For those folks, I don't see the harm in building and selling them one for cost plus a small profit for the effort.  There's nothing wrong with that.

HOWEVER...

Building, marketing and selling these things to the general public for a huge profit is totally against the whole reason we started building them ourselves anyway.  Not only that, but it totally undermines all the ones who made it possible for us to build these things ourself.  Besides, I wouldn't want the worry of having to warranty such things.

Reminds me of a song I heard once....

"Scooby, Scooby-doo, where are you?"

(If you don't know the joke behind that one, I ain't gonna explain it.  Ask spectr17 to explain it.)

davered1

Reaction score
I'm with Welby, If the original guys had thought this way, I wouldn't have a camera (or 2) right now.What you you have passthru??

Building a couple of cams for freinds with a small profit for time is a lot different.I am in process of building 1 of about 5 for my buddies I give them a list of what I need and they bring it to me No money changes hands.The more I build the better I get at changing little things and MINE will be the best in the end.

my 2 cents

bigmandude

Reaction score
i'd consider building them for a chance to hunt at some new places.... ok, ill build ya one,,,when ya gonna invite me to that place you killed that big un last year...lol

Drayton

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Let's all be thankful that the folks who manufacture the expensive game cameras don’t decide to put a stop to all of us making cameras at home!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Drayton,
I don't think they'd have any legal grounds for trying to stop us.  Obviously none of them have any intellectual patents/copyrights on the trail-cam *idea* or they would all be in court with each other.
The only legal issue I can think of as far as home-brewers selling cams would be if Radio Shack or Mainstay, Canon, Olympus, etc, got mad at us for re-selling their products without permission.

Archilochus

bigmandude

Reaction score
not quite sure how they would stop us....remember all 8-10 companies making them didnt all invent them...they just copied the original...changed it a little, just like we are doing.

as for me ,,, they can have my cam when they pry MR. FLASH CAPACITOR from my cold dead hands....LOL

the prices have come down though... saw one in the wal-mart the other day for $179 i think it was a Moultry brand... ya know the guys who make the automatic feeders.

Drayton

Reaction score
Archilochus,
I know the manufatures of retail trail cames have no grounds for legal suit againsts home made trail cams. My comment was for folks to look at the real issue reguarding the "to sell or not to sell" discussion.

This whole thin boils down to "private property rights." And as for the re-selling  products without the permission of manufactures...EBAY would have some real trouble if this were the case.

This touches something that I have noticed very recently and that is the rejection of "capitalism" in our nation. My kids thought that re-selling items for a profitt was "illegal"! And I'm finding out that it's not just the kids who think like this way.

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
Personally I think it is ok to sell them to friends or associates who either can't or dont want to build their own. If they cant do it why not at least help them out a little by building it for them for cost plus enough to cover your time! By the way I have built 5 and sold 3 to pay for my expenses for the 2 I kept for myself. Which was my original intent...I dont know that I would want to get into trying to mass market these things anyway as I dont want to have to warranty my product I sell, and I think there are still a few bugs in some of the camera systems, at least the ones that I have seen so far, but I got into this early on and there may have been fixes to all of the problems? I think the timer will fix most of the problems I have had, camera shutting down, getting minimal life from bateries etc. In the end though I do want to thank those of you that have been grand enough to share your ideas and formulas with the rest of us, so that this is possible to begin with! Good Luck...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom