Sensor distance

Ganewbie

Reaction score
What distance is best for sensors? I've found some inexpensive ones with 30 ft sensitivity. Is that far enough?

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
A lot of this is based on personal preferance and the camera you are using. 30' should be fine. Most flashes won't work well that far and day pics will be the only ones of much use. The Owl PF will reach that far.

Archilochus

Reaction score
30 ft is fine for basic trail-cam use.  I like to have a range of at least 45 feet available - but I make my own sensors, so can make them exactly as I prefer them (with adjustable range).

Archilochus

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Ganewbie, Welcome to JHP. I like my sensors to reach 30 to 35ft because that is as far as my flash can reach. Any further and all I see is eyes or shadows. One thing that I have noticed is that most sensors reach farther than the box says.Good luck and Enjoy.

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 3:38 pm on June 28, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
I modify my MS20's to sense out to 50' seems to work allright. But the closer the animal the more detail the pics have.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Ganewbie,
Welcome to the trail-cam forum! :))
I gave up on selling trail-cam stuff several years back - took all the fun out of it.  Still make a few for wildlife biologists on occasion.
You can check out the schematics for a basic PIR sensor on my web-site - http://www.geocities.com/archilochus57
They're very easy to build!  If you can build a trail-cam, you should have no problems making a PIR sensor too.

The Glolab web-site also has some schematics < http://www.glolab.com >
You can also find the schematics for the MS-20 sensor somewhere on this forum... (don't try to sell 'em though - they're copyright protected)

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

Ganewbie

Reaction score
Archilochus,
Thanks for the information. "They're very easy to build!" That's easy for you to say. I've done a little cicuit work in the past, but nothing like that. If I did lose my mind and decide to try this, do you have a parts breakdown? How big is the board you put it on?

Top Bottom