Sept 1st 2019

Sarghunter

149 Days till the Boom Sticks start Talking to the Birdees,, Remember 2019 we are ALL Steel or Non Lead shells:smiley_chain_gun_an

Limited Out

149 and counting, you da man Sarg! The only guy on here that is more enthusiastic about shooting doves than me. I was down in the I.V. last Wednesday with a couple of my partners on a Euro Blasting Excursion, 11 Euros all up. The Euro have moved out of town. Not many around, hope we haven't thinned to the population to much. Keep us posted on the number of days until the opener.

Limited Out

Down in the desert a week and a half ago, looking better every time we hunt down there. We are trying to find some free time to go down for a day hunt in the next week or so. How did that scouting trip pan out?

Last edited:

TheGDog

I bothered to get Get an Upland validation this year. Saw HUGE Quail out there now with all this rain. Figure I wanted in on the Boom-Stick fun!

For Quails, in steel, what do you guys recommend. (I'm a Shotgun n00b.)

Limited Out

I have also seen lots of Quail in the past month, as well. I am no expert on Quail hunting, but I do go a few times a season. It looks like good numbers to me. As far as shells I'll be shooting 7/8 oz. to 1 1/16 oz. #6 steel at 1400+ fps. w/ modified or IM chokes. The best solution I think would be to pattern a few rounds of the shells you think will work well, out the gun and chokes you plan on using. Some of those Kent Upland FastSteel loads look pretty good. I haven't shot these steel upland shells, but I have shot a ton of their steel waterfowl loads which are pretty darn good. This might be a good starting point. https://kentcartridge.com/us/shotshell/upland-fasteel Let us know what you come up with.

Last edited:

Sarghunter

Well the Scouting trip to the Indian Reservation was a BUST ,, VVERY Few Morning , Zero White Wings and Zero Eurosian FYI

Limited Out

We shot Euros day before yesterday in the I.V. We are still trying to use up the last of the lead ammo. We went to the same spot as we did 14 days ago at the same time of day. All the conditions were the same feed , roost, and water. The weather was slightly warmer, and that was the only difference. The last time we hunted there it was non-stop shooting for 4 hours. This time there were absolutely no birds in the area. This is a spot we have hunted many times for a lot of years on a well established flyway. I am not trying to downplay the importance of scouting, I've done my fair share. Sometimes there is a bit of luck involved in hitting the right spot and getting on the birds. I did notice the other day a lot less birds in general in the valley. Why, I have no idea!

Limited Out

72 and counting, Back on the birds today, the lead is going fast, shot 4-5 boxes. I didn't count everyone's birds but I think it came out to around 50+. One more trip next week and that's it for most the lead. Caught a few fish after the morning flight. Checked one of our Quail spots on the way home, "Looking Good". A fine day in the desert was had by all!

Last edited:

Limited Out

Ya Buddy!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you find any promising spots over in your country? Choot Em' or Hook Em' in the Lips!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Limited Out

From what I have been seeing the desert in general is going to have 15-20% more birds overall this opener. This will make finding a good spot a bit easier. I haven't been down to the I.V. in a couple of weeks so I'm not really up to speed myself. I plan on taking some guys down to hunt Euros on the 17th or 18th and have a look around. I am trying to put together a decent steel shot inventory with some close and long range loads. We shot a lot of rounds last opener so I want to have that covered. I will be in the serious scouting mode for the last two weeks of the month. Hopefully we all get on the birds and have a great shoot.

Last edited:

Sarghunter

Ok Guys

Let's get the juices flowing where is everyone going for Opening Day ??????

Our Group Is heading to Blythe

Top Bottom