Sept 1st 2020. Wheres everyone headed? Dove opener

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Here's a preview of what the Limited Out Crew will be shootin' on the opener..........Choot Em' Opener Loads 2020.jpg

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Close enough! Hope Sarg and his gang leave you a few birds! What I have been seeing scouting the I.V. there should be plenty. Lots of Mourning and very few White Wings so far. I'll be trying to scout 2-3 more times before the opener............. Choot Em' in the Lips!!

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Bullet Production underway for the Opener......................Choot Em' Presentation1.jpg

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
imma try and do some scouting and live field reports Aug 31 and on the openrr from Blythe and Cibola area like I used to do. Maybe hop over the Niland/El Centro area on the way back. Do some Facebook live videos.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
i just checked some on air BNBs, about $100 and up a night for opener. I saw one post about the motel 8 in yuma was $35 due to covid. Usually the motels are over $100 too.

Wud up on lodging in the lower desert?

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I am going for just the morning shoot. If I can put myself on the X I'll probably be headed home around 0800 hrs. I'll take the Bass rig in case I get done any sooner. I am not sure exactly where I will be hunting in the valley, be scouting tomorrow, coolest day of the week, to start firming up plans. There are not many people going, all virused out, I might be shooting solo for the first time in 25 years, we'll see who shows up. When you hunt 2 or 3 times a month year a round it kind of takes the shine off the penny! Hopefully next year will be different. This is about the most lackluster opener ever! Have a Great Opener where ever you end up and Choot Em'

hntndux

Reaction score
Sac valley, just waiting for the safflower to get harvested....hopefully in about 2 weeks.

Huey43

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm up in San Luis Obispo. I used to go to the Imperial valley, until I moved up north. Don't know of any places around here. I'm applying for a license at Ft Hunter Ligget and I see they have a lot of areas to hunt there. Anyone have any recommendations for me at FHL or other areas in the San Luis Obispo area?

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Just got home from a scouting trip to the I.V. this morning. Spent most of my time driving, but I did take an hour to blast a few Euros. Limited myself to ten birds, could have shot many more, the focus was on scouting and testing some upland steel ammo. Those Cheddite 1oz. #6s @1468 fps drop those birds like a rock, no head pullin' required! Things look good bird wise, not as many White Wings as I have seen over the last few years. 20200806_092722.jpg

sabbathu

Reaction score
Just got home from a scouting trip to the I.V. this morning. Spent most of my time driving, but I did take an hour to blast a few Euros. Limited myself to ten birds, could have shot many more, the focus was on scouting and testing some upland steel ammo. Those Cheddite 1oz. #6s @1468 fps drop those birds like a rock, no head pullin' required! Things look good bird wise, not as many White Wings as I have seen over the last few years. View attachment 78384
Question for you dove vets. (I haven’t hunted dove since I was a kid 30 some years ago)

What’s the best way to identify the different types of doves in flight? I mean, I see them all the time in my neighborhood and when they park on a tree or electrical wire, I can usually see the black collar. But when these things are 30 yards in the air in mid flight, it’s hard for me to tell.I don’t want to shoot a mourning dove thinking it’s a Eurasian.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I don't want to blow my own horn to much here!

I have shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 3k Euros since the no limit year-a-round season was enacted. No kidding! I still misidentified the species sometimes. When you consider the impact on the Mourning and White Wing populations from shooting the the wrong flavor, this important rule applies for me "If I am not sure, I don't shoot". We want plenty of birds around for our kids and grand kids in the future.

Here's the long and the short of IDing these birds. Euros are bulkier in body size, generally lighter in color, and less agile and slower in flight. It is easier to mix up Euros and White Wings because they are larger than Mournings. The Euros have a boxy squared off tail where the Mournings have a sleek pointed tail. Mournings will adapt to most any habitat, where Euros like to be around a fixed food sources and sometimes buildings. As you mentioned they have a black ring around their neck which is hard to see in flight. After you shoot a few you'll get better at making a positive ID.

uplandgb

Reaction score
Went scouting yesterday it's so hard when your just sitting there watching them coming in left and right hopefully the spot holds for a few more weeks

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I am going, I can't see wasting a good opener over a deadly virus unless there is some rule or law that is enacted regarding being in the middle of an open field with Doves falling like rocks all around me before then! I don't know how many of my hunting partners will be going. I am not to sold on the idea of riding 2-3 hours in the truck with anybody to get there, with the exception of my son. I have never seen much enforcement, of any type, down there on the opener even when folks are blatantly violating the law, shooting each other, or being drunk and shooting each other or any of the other typical behavior you normally see. I was limited and out of there by 7:30 the last three years, probably be on the road home by 8:30. Might stop and fish if it's not to hot, I don't know! It's going to be a wham bam thank you ma'am for me! ..................................Choot Em'

jbv

Reaction score
I am going, I can't see wasting a good opener over a deadly virus unless there is some rule or law that is enacted regarding being in the middle of an open field with Doves falling like rocks all around me before then! I don't know how many of my hunting partners will be going. I am not to sold on the idea of riding 2-3 hours in the truck with anybody to get there, with the exception of my son. I have never seen much enforcement, of any type, down there on the opener even when folks are blatantly violating the law, shooting each other, or being drunk and shooting each other or any of the other typical behavior you normally see. I was limited and out of there by 7:30 the last three years, probably be on the road home by 8:30. Might stop and fish if it's not to hot, I don't know! It's going to be a wham bam thank you ma'am for me! ..................................Choot Em'
ya that’s my take as well...should be done by 7:30..I don’t see the issue. But then again, we live in CA. If they don’t allow hunting in the IV, heading to Yuma...

Top Bottom