Sept 1st 2020. Wheres everyone headed? Dove opener

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
All this Dove hunting talk got me hungry! Had to make a bit of room in the freezer for the opener. Two dozen Euros fillets, and veggies fresh out of the garden. A lunch worth putting out some effort for!.............. Dove Fry.jpg Choot Em' in the Lips!!!

Fastpowerstroker

Reaction score
Haven’t been to dove opener in five year because I’m usually getting ready for mountain quail which is a week after. This year I’ll be working near Vidal jct. so probably go to Palo verde for evening hunts. Not sure if that is where people say they are going when they talk about Blythe? Never been to Blythe for hunting. Used to go to IV.

Ill check out the area the Friday before opener and see if I can find a good area

Sarghunter

Reaction score
Fast
You may want to checkout

This was a post from last year

For the second year in a row, there are excellent numbers of whitewing doves in the Blythe region right up through Friday (Aug. 26). David Baker, who manages the fields on the Palo Verde Ecological Reserve (PVER) north of Interstate 10 at Blythe, said the wheat and milo field off Second Avenue at the far north end of the state-owned land was packed with birds. Then there was a thunderstorm that dumped two inches of rain at Baker's house in Blythe Aug. 24. He rushed up to the wheat the next morning expecting that many of the birds might have deserted the area, but there were even more doves using the area than earlier in the week.

"I don't know what happened. Maybe the storm drove all the birds in Parker down here," said Baker. "There are thousands of birds up there. Those fields have so much feed on them, I don't think the birds will leave."

The 10th Avenue fields, which were in wheat and milo last year and held an incredible number of whitewings.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I have always been a little spectacle of the thunderstorm theory. I don't know, I thought that the local merchants invented it to explain why there weren't any birds in a certain area. It's been around forever! I've shot lots of birds during and after thunder storms. If you're on the X it could be hailing and you could shoot a bunch from my experience! Sarg would be my go to guy for the Blythe area. What's everyone's theory?

Sarghunter

Reaction score
I had one of my best Dove hunts after a morning Duck hunt in December in Delano, light to heavy mist, We were on the X as Limited says,,, 2 limits in 15 mins

My partner says you are crazy there are no Doves .... After my 3rd bird he beat feet to try and chach up.

Weather can play a Part but if you find them you are GOLDEN

Happy Safe HUNTING

uplandgb

Reaction score
This is the kind of help that is greatly appreciated by myself and I'm sure by members around here not giving a secret spot but helping someone get a barring of the area is always greatly appreciated.
I know myself I hunt with two of my brothers and father for the past 40 years and we have what we call our honey holes and other places that are just good starting areas to scout around and get some birds.
I have helped many a hunter locate reasonable places to go hunt as many of them like myself don't have the time to go and do a scout that is a 11 hour round trip as would be Blythe or the IV for us.
Now we have done IV a hand full of times and will say we have not found 'the spot" but we go down spend a few days get some birds and have an enjoyable time.

Fast
You may want to checkout

This was a post from last year

For the second year in a row, there are excellent numbers of whitewing doves in the Blythe region right up through Friday (Aug. 26). David Baker, who manages the fields on the Palo Verde Ecological Reserve (PVER) north of Interstate 10 at Blythe, said the wheat and milo field off Second Avenue at the far north end of the state-owned land was packed with birds. Then there was a thunderstorm that dumped two inches of rain at Baker's house in Blythe Aug. 24. He rushed up to the wheat the next morning expecting that many of the birds might have deserted the area, but there were even more doves using the area than earlier in the week.

"I don't know what happened. Maybe the storm drove all the birds in Parker down here," said Baker. "There are thousands of birds up there. Those fields have so much feed on them, I don't think the birds will leave."

The 10th Avenue fields, which were in wheat and milo last year and held an incredible number of whitewings.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I have always been a little spectacle of the thunderstorm theory. I don't know, I thought that the local merchants invented it to explain why there weren't any birds in a certain area. It's been around forever! I've shot lots of birds during and after thunder storms. If you're on the X it could be hailing and you could shoot a bunch from my experience! Sarg would be my go to guy for the Blythe area. What's everyone's theory?
The correct word is skeptical!.............Hook Em' in the Lips

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I don't want be a jerk about giving up "Hot Spots" I don't mind giving general information on bird types and numbers when I scout an area. A lot of the spots I hunt took a number of years of scouting to get dialed in. Enough folks stumble on to them on the opener as is. It's to easy to spread the word these days. Then the next time you go there, there is no trespassing signs all over, trash & empties everywhere, and gut and feather piles from field cleaning birds. I think people appreciate a good spot a little more if they to do a bit of leg work to get it figured out!

Sarghunter

Reaction score
Limited,
You are 100% right, that being said for Our hunting Tradition to continue Especially in CalFukia Is Under Attack by the Anti Gun & Anti Hunter POSs. We need to pay it forward and Help Out when we can . I beleive in Karma I have been helped out in the Past so now I can help a fellow Hunter.

Hunt Safe & Hunt Smart

Sarghunter

Reaction score
I don't want be a jerk about giving up "Hot Spots" I don't mind giving general information on bird types and numbers when I scout an area. A lot of the spots I hunt took a number of years of scouting to get dialed in. Enough folks stumble on to them on the opener as is. It's to easy to spread the word these days. Then the next time you go there, there is no trespassing signs all over, trash & empties everywhere, and gut and feather piles from field cleaning birds. I think people appreciate a good spot a little more if they to do a bit of leg work to get it figured out!
We as Hunters need to be the Guardians of our Hunting Privilege & Tradition and Remind people abusing hunting locations, TOO PICK UP their Shi?

Jsloan687

Reaction score
Every time I go to Blythe there are empties everywhere, it's sad. My buddy and I always pick up ours along with everything in our general area. Not patting myself on the back but trying to do my part

Fastpowerstroker

Reaction score
We as Hunters need to be the Guardians of our Hunting Privilege & Tradition and Remind people abusing hunting locations, TOO PICK UP their Shi?
Sarge, thank you for the info in the earlier post. I’ll be heading it there Sunday for work so I’ll do some scouting there after hours. Can’t make it in the mornings because I start work early but will look in the evenings.

Sarghunter

Reaction score
Sarge, thank you for the info in the earlier post. I’ll be heading it there Sunday for work so I’ll do some scouting there after hours. Can’t make it in the mornings because I start work early but will look in the evenings.
Fast
If you havnt been to Blythe in a few years a Dynamite Mex Food restaurant , La Paloma Excellent Food and Very Reasonable

Last edited:

Fastpowerstroker

Reaction score
Was brushing up on the regulations. Got a little nervous reading about decoys. Looks like battery powered mojo doves are still legal just not power decoys for waterfowl. So I’ll bring a mojo decoy, gps and palo verde map I downloaded. Thx

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
There is a delay in the start of legal use of of Duck Mojos, never heard of that regarding Dove Mojos. I'll take mine, may even use them along with some clip-ons, and ground dekes!

AS73

Reaction score
Question for you dove vets. (I haven’t hunted dove since I was a kid 30 some years ago)

What’s the best way to identify the different types of doves in flight? I mean, I see them all the time in my neighborhood and when they park on a tree or electrical wire, I can usually see the black collar. But when these things are 30 yards in the air in mid flight, it’s hard for me to tell.I don’t want to shoot a mourning dove thinking it’s a Eurasian.

Attachments

sabbathu

Reaction score
Question for you opening day warriors.

I won’t be able to make it out to any of the “good spots” for the opener, but how bad are the odds for those of us that can’t make it? Are half of all the birds gone by the 2nd weekend?

-Dove Hunting Rookie

Top Bottom