Sept 1st 2020. Wheres everyone headed? Dove opener

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I would go, they'll be birds. Provided there were birds there in the first place, I always like to shoot the second half opener!

Sarghunter

Reaction score
Question for you opening day warriors.

I won’t be able to make it out to any of the “good spots” for the opener, but how bad are the odds for those of us that can’t make it? Are half of all the birds gone by the 2nd weekend?

-Dove Hunting Rookie
There should be plenty of birds, its a midweek opener, and the birds should have a couple days to calm dow n after the Sept1sthunters have gone home

dblsmk

Reaction score
I'd go when ever I could. Just because the shooting is slower doesn't mean it's bad.
Besides the chance of getting a load of steel from the crazies is a lot less.

Richmonder

Reaction score
Having never done dove hunting I tried setting up a hunt with a local guide in order to learn the ropes. Opening day was booked but he said he had availability the next day. I confirmed that I wanted to book the 2nd. I asked him to call me to set up the deposit payment, ask some questions, etc... he never did. Oh well.*

I met a hunter at Grizzly Island while rabbit hunting, who mentioned dove up in Knoxville. I might take a trip or two to try my luck.

* I should have known.... I met the guide at the International Sportsmen's Expo in Sacramento in January and told him I wanted to book a pig hunt. He asked me to put down my contact info in his book and he would contact me - He never did.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Excellent point "the number of birds you get" doesn't dictate the amount of fun you have!

Fastpowerstroker

Reaction score
Having never done dove hunting I tried setting up a hunt with a local guide in order to learn the ropes. Opening day was booked but he said he had availability the next day. I confirmed that I wanted to book the 2nd. I asked him to call me to set up the deposit payment, ask some questions, etc... he never did. Oh well.*

I met a hunter at Grizzly Island while rabbit hunting, who mentioned dove up in Knoxville. I might take a trip or two to try my luck.

* I should have known.... I met the guide at the International Sportsmen's Expo in Sacramento in January and told him I wanted to book a pig hunt. He asked me to put down my contact info in his book and he would contact me - He never did.
Most of it is pre scouting areas and some luck also. Not familiar with the north myself but if you get up there and drive around until you find some birds then try to pattern them you should be successful. Doves like to fly by landmarks (roads, power lines, etc) for water and feed and roost. Find a fly zone and sit under some trees if you can and wait for opportunity. Decoys help too. Be very still until you have a shot, they see movement from far away and change course. Also wear earth tones or camo. But non movement is more important in my opinion

Last edited:

Richmonder

Reaction score
Most of it is pre scouting areas and some luck also. Not familiar with the north myself but if you get up there and drive around until you find some birds then try to pattern them you should be successful. Doves like to fly by landmarks (roads, power lines, etc) for water and feed and roost. Find a fly zone and sit under some trees if you can and wait for opportunity. Decoys help too. Be very still until you have a shot, they see movement from far away and change course. Also wear earth tones or camo. But non movement is more important in my opinion
Thank you for the info - every bit is greatly appreciated.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Close enough!
I always like it when someone, I don't know, tries to follow me to one of my spots off the main highway, I pullover and park until they give up and leave!

Sarghunter

Reaction score
Bakersfield area ;-)
When i lived in So Calif , l learned to hunt in Gorman when the Aquduct was being built, over the years Hunted bunch in the Delano area, until the NO HUNTING Postings Got out of control. Our group headed to Colorado River area, CRIT & Blythe ranches , fast forward 53 yrs

Some Awesome Memories

uplandgb

Reaction score
Yep we had a private ranch in the Delano area that worked real well for a couple seasons as the newly planted trees were growing in "a real barrel heater" but now they grew full size and to limited of a shooting area.
Gorman was the childhood home for us for both Dove and Quail a good solid 20 years for me and longer for my dad and grandfather, there's still a spot or two for mid season but it's a whole lot of work for maybe a couple birds.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I still hunt the same coveys I hunted when I was 15, there still there in the Coachella Valley, same locations. Time Fly's when you're havin' fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarghunter

Reaction score
Yep we had a private ranch in the Delano area that worked real well for a couple seasons as the newly planted trees were growing in "a real barrel heater" but now they grew full size and to limited of a shooting area.
Gorman was the childhood home for us for both Dove and Quail a good solid 20 years for me and longer for my dad and grandfather, there's still a spot or two for mid season but it's a whole lot of work for maybe a couple birds.
Upland

By Chance in Gorman did you Hunt off 138 & THREE Points Rd, by the Massive Black Pipe it always a slow drip that was good for the Birdees

Last edited:

uplandgb

Reaction score
Upland

By Chance in Gorman did you Hunt off 138 & THREE Points Rd, by the Massive Black Pipe it always a slow drip that was good for the Birdees
You know the spot :)

We also went deeper down.
One year my brother got the truck stuck in the mud left of the pipe lucky a worker pulled him out...good times lol

Latest Posts

Top Bottom