shaft selection help?

Dain V

Reaction score
No matter what I do I cant get my blackhawk 5000's to fly satisfactorily out of my montega fingers bow. I add weight to the back then to the front, back and fourth still no go. it seems they are always to weak or to stiff spined.

I had a few xx78 super slam 2216 lite shafts lying around so I decided to give them a try. I only shot a few with fletching and bare shaft and they seemed to perform. I pull out the catalog to order some more and see that the 2216 is spined for 44 to 49 LBS of draw. needless to say I am glad I only fired a few.

Now the pro shop sold me these arrows for my old 70 lb release bow. They also sold me the blackhawks. From my research it seems the pro shop is lazy or does not know what their doing. They never told me with a fingers compound to add 5 to 7 LBS of draw weight.

But the 2216's flew well even though they are under spined on the easton chart. From what the chart says if I am pulling 66 LBS of draw releasing with fingers, I should be shooting the 2317 or a 2514.

Who's right and who's wrong, me or the shop?

Oregon Archer

Reaction score
First off how is your bow set up? What kind of rest are you shooting? How are the arrows fletched?

Dain V

Reaction score
The bow is set at 66 lbs with a 31'' draw. I am shooting arrows with 3 5'' vanes off a NAP center rest flipper.

Oregon Archer

Reaction score
well my best guess is that you are over spined. the blackhawk 5000s are a very stiff shaft. they are a .300 spine. doesnt allow much flex for the arrow to clear the rest properly. id also try and go to feathers versus vanes. see if you can get a few shafts in a .400 spine and some in a .340 spine fletched up with some 4 or 5 inch feathers. i bet they will perform better than the stiffer shafts.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
For fingers I always found bare shaft tuning to be the cat's pajama's. get a buddy with decent eyes to stand behind you and watch the nock. Pay no mind to how it ends in the target because the end can yank around and look like better flight than it was.

Start at about 5 or so feet to make sure you hit the target. Once you have the spine right then throw the fletching on.

better yet fletch one with feathers and then cut the feather off except the quill, that will nullify any fletching contact besides the quill which is a whole other animal.

Also don't forget to try cock feather into the riser. Sounds nuts until I tried it. Archer's paradox usually means the bow is not really pressing against the plunger as hard as we tend to think and you can in fact get the best flight by having the cock in and the other two missing everyhing.

Good luck, also remember that unlike a release your technique for letting go of the string has a lot to do with the reaction of the arrow, however if your are consistent that is what matters. If you haven't yet perfected your technique don't buy too many arrows, just shoot the pudding out of a blank bale and get that release consistent, usually hundreds of shots aiming at nothing, with eyes closed.

good luck, there is a wealth of knowledge here to help anyone out, just keep asking. Be careful listening to me thouhg, as some bald head feller might just pop in and tell me I am wrong. Which on both accounts is highly likely!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom