Share Hunts

huntingcali

Reaction score
Didn't get drawn for elk but I gladly will do it again knowing my hard earn money is going to game conservation. Remember fokes, there wouldn't be elk in California if it wasn't for our hunting dollars!

dukngoosehntr

Banned
Reaction score
I dont think many think this through before posting that the DFG is just making money off you... There are lots of costs associated with providing these opportunities and guys forget that and just complain that the fees are too high and the DFG is just making money... Hardly the case for sure as funds are distributed in many ways to make "all" this happen...

Complaining about the cost is probably the most annoying posts there are because if I remember right nobody forced anyone to apply for these types of opportunities therefore complaining after is just plain ridiculous no different then me buying a $100.00 worth of lottery tickets not winning power ball and then saying they are making money off me.. It is a lottery people nothing more nothing less again nobody forces you to play...

Guys who drew congrats and good luck we wish you well...

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
I received notification that I won the lottery SHARE for Del Norte South Side Group. Looking for any information on the area that will improve my chances and enjoyment. (This reads: any suggestions for a great breakfast or other good eats welcome)

Scotty
Congratulations! Wish I could provide you some info, however, the property owner is probably your best bet. Good luck and let us know if you bag one.

Summitdog

Reaction score
I dont think many think this through before posting that the DFG is just making money off you... There are lots of costs associated with providing these opportunities and guys forget that and just complain that the fees are too high and the DFG is just making money... Hardly the case for sure as funds are distributed in many ways to make "all" this happen...

Complaining about the cost is probably the most annoying posts there are because if I remember right nobody forced anyone to apply for these types of opportunities therefore complaining after is just plain ridiculous no different then me buying a $100.00 worth of lottery tickets not winning power ball and then saying they are making money off me.. It is a lottery people nothing more nothing less again nobody forces you to play...

Guys who drew congrats and good luck we wish you well...
I agree completely. I deal with governmental agencies on a regular basis for work. The people I deal with are usually pleasant but not necessarily in the mindset to "help" the citizenry. CDFW on the other hand has been nothing but a positive experience, everytime. I have spoken to Victoria Barr, SHARE Program administrator, and Helen Ferguson, the CDFW contact point for Del Norte. They have been nothing less than enthusiastic to help me have the best time I can on my first elk hunt. The point is, there are a lot of moving cogs to these programs. These moving cogs are the people at CDFW who go out and solicit the participation from the land owners for the HUNTER'S benefit. In my experience, landowners often don't want strangers on their land, hunting or otherwise, because of liability reasons and the "I am worried about my neighbors . . ." concerns. I have approached several land owners about just letting my 9 year old son go out onto their property to practice his turkey calls and we have yet to receive a single positive response. No guns, no bows, no air rifles, just the turkey call and still nada. In speaking with Victoria Barr, the number for the SHARE program went up from 37 last year to 48 this year. That is a huge percentile increase.

I am very grateful that I have the opportunity through CDFW rather than a private outfitter, which would have cost waaaaaayyyyy more.

I'll keep you posted on my time in Del Norte.

Scotty

Last edited:

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Complete BUllSHIT. The place elk on private land the land owner can charge what ever he wants. Ive heard of tags going for more than a Arizona or Utah prized hunt.

Summitdog

Reaction score
I think we are talking about two different things. The SHARE hunt costs the price of the lottery tickets and the price of the elk tag. Each lottery ticket was ~ $12.00. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/SHARE#wildpig

The landowner's do not charge an additional fee. I agree that when the transferable elk tags go to the landowners some of them sell them on the secondary market at a premium but that is a different topic.

Hoooper

Reaction score
Actually a good analogy since the lottery is a scheme to get people to give up their money with the dream of winning big which essentially nobody does, while the reality is the whole thing is just a revenue stream for the various local governments. The difference is powerball is not holding public goods hostage and charging an obscene amount for the opportunity of winning it back.

Last edited:

julian999

Reaction score
Complete BUllSHIT. The place elk on private land the land owner can charge what ever he wants. Ive heard of tags going for more than a Arizona or Utah prized hunt.
PLM and share a hunt are two different program .

Pat . I called you two times and no answer .

Planetcat

Reaction score
I agree completely. I deal with governmental agencies on a regular basis for work. The people I deal with are usually pleasant but not necessarily in the mindset to "help" the citizenry. CDFW on the other hand has been nothing but a positive experience, everytime. I have spoken to Victoria Barr, SHARE Program administrator, and Helen Ferguson, the CDFW contact point for Del Norte. They have been nothing less than enthusiastic to help me have the best time I can on my first elk hunt. The point is, there are a lot of moving cogs to these programs. These moving cogs are the people at CDFW who go out and solicit the participation from the land owners for the HUNTER'S benefit. In my experience, landowners often don't want strangers on their land, hunting or otherwise, because of liability reasons and the "I am worried about my neighbors . . ." concerns. I have approached several land owners about just letting my 9 year old son go out onto their property to practice his turkey calls and we have yet to receive a single positive response. No guns, no bows, no air rifles, just the turkey call and still nada. In speaking with Victoria Barr, the number for the SHARE program went up from 37 last year to 48 this year. That is a huge percentile increase.

I am very grateful that I have the opportunity through CDFW rather than a private outfitter, which would have cost waaaaaayyyyy more.

I'll keep you posted on my time in Del Norte.

Scotty
Victoria Barr is a wonderful SHARE program administrator and cares deeply about the success of the program and hunters.

As an aside, my buddy got drawn for one of the cow elk share hunts way up north this year. Needless to say, he is pretty happy about it.

Summitdog

Reaction score
This year I did not get lucky on the Elk SHARE hunt but my significant other did!!!!

Scotty

jrappyo

Reaction score
I have put in for 3 turkey SHARE hunts in 2018 - nothing. I put in for 5 so far in 2019 - nothing yet, 2 pending. After seeing how many some people put in for and not getting a draw, I don't feel so bad...yet. Not sure if I believe in this program yet but it's good to see people posting with success - that keeps me inspired to contribute to this program.

Please keep posting about successful SHARE hunts.

dflorian3

Reaction score
Anyone get lucky and pull a Share elk hunt? I put in for several with no luck.
No. I don't think its worth it for bull elk but maybe a cow. My father in-law has drawn on a shared elk hunt cow 2 out of the last 3 years but I've put in 25+ applications for bull the last 3 years (~$750) and nada... It must be much more difficult to draw on a bull. I'm at the point where I'm skeptical about the credibility of these bull draws. Maybe the CDFW should post the winners (they may and I don't know about it) so we can see that people are actually winning.

oakey

Reaction score
Drew the Barnes Ranch elk hunt its new this year talked with the Owner should be a good hunt only time will tell

cjack

Reaction score
Put in for many hunts every year and never drew squat. I think I'm done with this program.

nickman123

Reaction score
There's a different thread on here about Share hunts. On the thread, guy posted a link to DFW website that has the draw odds for the Share elk hunts. Just the elk hunts-didn't see odds shown for any other species of Share hunt. The draw odds on all the Share bull elk hunts are not just less than 1%, they are all .1 to .2 percent. That's 1 or 2 out of 1000. And since they don't do any points system on Share hunts, you can put in your whole life and your chances won't get any better. Seems like a racket to me. The odds are better in the regular draw elk hunts and at least you build points

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
There's a different thread on here about Share hunts. On the thread, guy posted a link to DFW website that has the draw odds for the Share elk hunts. Just the elk hunts-didn't see odds shown for any other species of Share hunt. The draw odds on all the Share bull elk hunts are not just less than 1%, they are all .1 to .2 percent. That's 1 or 2 out of 1000. And since they don't do any points system on Share hunts, you can put in your whole life and your chances won't get any better. Seems like a racket to me. The odds are better in the regular draw elk hunts and at least you build points
But only max points matter in CA. If you have one point less than max you effectively have zero points for once in lifetime hunts. The share hunts give me (someone with less than max points) an equal shot at a tag. I will never have that with points.

Top Bottom