Share Hunts

Rick

Reaction score
I have one less than max for elk, antelope and sheep...I screwed up one year and forgot to apply in time. I am 67, so there probably isn't much chance of me getting to the max point stage, but I keep trying. As I get older, though, the hunts I put in for have to be the easier ones.

nickman123

Reaction score
Chris, not trying to get in an argument, but if you look at the draw stats you have a better chance of being drawn in most of the regular bull elk hunts, even without maxpoints. Look at the stats in the 2020 hunting digest. They gave out 35 bull elk tags this year in the random part of the draw (no points needed). If you just divide total applicants by number of tags you'll see that in most of them your chances are better than the aforementioned 1 or 2 out of a thousand in the Share hunts.
For example: the Independence period 2 bull tag had only 293 total applicants for the one random tag. it's lousy odds but it's roughly 4 to 8 times better odds than any share hunt. If you don't win at least you get a point and maybe some day down the road, you will have max points and then you'll really have a better chance of being drawn. Or maybe, one of these days they will cap the points for elk and sheep and you'll be there sooner.

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
nickman, I dont disagree, just disillusioned with CA points, more than anything. So many things seem so lopsided, such as D13, D11 and D15 giving out endless supply of tags, but with low populations of deer, while some x zones have more deer but hardly any tags. BTW, I did apply for that Independence tag. I also bought ten raffle chances for each of the lifetime fundraisers. So, I definitely try. Most of the share hunts are on private lands, so to me its opportunity to hunt private lands I wouldn't otherwise get to hunt, however, I know the odds aren't good.

You mentioned capping points for elk and sheep. Has DFG talked about doing this?

Zanglo

Reaction score
Is there any way for us to see the draw odds? I’m for bear pig or deer SHARE programs? And are they any better than just public land for the same?

bobby7321

Reaction score
My boy drew the cow tag for Rickert Ranch. Its always a long shot but paid off this year. Tag was only $22 (plus the entry fee) :)

nofear25

Reaction score
I drew a 3 point bull tag at fort dick. Hopefully I will have some success photos to post in October.

nickman123

Reaction score
No. I've heard nothing about Cali putting cap on points for elk tags. But it would make sense. There are so few bull tags (sheep too) vs number of applicants it looks like you'll eventually have people with 30 or more points. Seems kinda crazy. The other species have enough tags that everyone who really keeps at probably eventually gets their turn, but not on bull elk or sheep. Or maybe some kinda weighted point system. But that's probably asking too much. Hell, way this states going, hunting will probably be banned altogether eventually.

I suppose if money isn't a big issue, putting in for a Share hunt (or hunts) increases your chance a little, but it still is really long odds. Seems to me you could eventually end up spending as much or more as you would to just go out of state to hunt elk.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom