She strolled up too close.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
Went out to the high desert to give it one more go at trying to bag a chukar for the closing weekend of upland. And after an exhausting seven miles or more of scaling steep lave rock slopes I was finally climbing the last hill and about a 100 or so feet from the truck and who do I see but a coyote trotting along. I freeze where I'm at and quickly hit the record on the gopro and raise the shotgun up. The coyote is behind some brush and too far considering I've got steel 6's in a 20g. I'm in the open, standing, I think which way is the wind going? Damnit! Feels like there is a slight breeze at my back. I'm thinking there is no way this coyote won't see me or scent me. But I keep the bead on it as walks along. The coyote turns left and approaches closer. It pauses. Ah it smells me and is going to take off. Nope, it continues forward. As it closes in at about 10 yards or less it turns left a little to present a clean broadside shot opportunity. I feel this is finally close enough to achieve clean kill and squeeze the trigger. The coyote drops immediately, it's DRT.

I walk over casually and silently. I'm sort of in disbelief of what unfolded. I thought for sure the coyote would of seen me or scented me. Right next to my truck, it would never come close enough. But it did. Here she is.

20190126_162430.jpg

And yes I did get it on video. I'm going to include it as part of a larger hunt vid of the whole weekend. When I'm done editing I'll post it back here. First coyote for me in a long time and first with the shotgun.

Wild1

Reaction score
Well done! You just saved a couple of fawns and a gaggle of chukar.

socalkid

Reaction score
10 yards is close but I'm still impressed that steel #6 in a 20 gauge was so effective! Where did you place your shot?

Stevehazard

Reaction score
Heart. With steel 6's out of a 20 gauge I wanted a clean close range shot to be confident it would put one down. I've had them come close to me while small game hunting before (there for the same thing I was probably) but they have been a little bit farther out or not a clean shot. The other I considered shooting came really close, like 12 feet, but he moving really quick and kind of surprised each other.

dabob

Reaction score
That is a cool picture!

If I had my choice of getting a great picture like that or just killing a coyote, I would take the great picture every time.

When you can get a great picture and kill the coyote that is perfect!

Good job!

Last edited:

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Super congrats Steve on getting it done close range, nice yote and pics thnx 4 sharing!.....tra

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TheGDog

Reaction score
BTW.. that's being filmed from just standard GoPro Head-Strap, right?

imperial valley hunter

Reaction score
congrats, on the shotgun yote... I just got mine a few months back, very exciting to have them so close. RAD picture.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
BTW.. that's being filmed from just standard GoPro Head-Strap, right?
Nope.

I mod the standard head straps. I hack the fixed mount off and put a curved adhesive mount there instead and run the camera inverted off a ball joint mount. This lets you frame up the camera to how you shoulder the gun. Or your subject (gun and game/target) is centered and leveled properly in the camera. When people use the standard head strap (which is everybody still) they often (always) end up with their gun all the way to one side of the screen aimed at the top corner with the horizon canted. Also my setup gets the lens down on the barrel more and looks closer to what you actually see.

[video=youtube_share;bCYreWA2NU0]https://youtu.be/bCYreWA2NU0[/video]

Stevehazard

Reaction score
That is a cool picture!

If I had my choice of getting a great picture like that or just killing a coyote, I would take the great picture every time.

When you can get a great picture and kill the coyote that is perfect!

Good job!
Thanks I think I'm finally going to make the POV camera/vid setup I've ultimately imagined finally. Got the camera and the mounting system down. Now to get a mic adapter, bigger memory cards, and battery.

Top Bottom