gizz

Reaction score
Here is a pic from a new roll that shows a young buck shedding his velvet. The actual photo really shows the bloody, stringy mess much better than the scanned one.

Here is Coyote from another setup that a bear attacked. He came in on the cam the first pic then a few pics of black, unfocused furry.  You can see the branch overhanging the cam. Most of the pics on this roll focused on the branch the rest of the way so the pics turned out very dark. This is the only good one from that entire roll. Thanks Bear!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Not bad Gizz,

I've heard for years that only the big, dominant buck makes rubs on trees in late August/early Sept but I got a pix of a 4 ptr that looks a lot like yours on Sept 7th with no velvet and some big boys are with him all with velvet.

The bucks were sure moving betw Sept 3 and 7th here in Mo., almost the entire roll of film is bucks, maybe 15 or 16 bucks, (not all different deer but diff days)

See Ya!

Tinhorn

gizz

Reaction score
Tinhorn - for years i heard and believed the same thing but like yours, most of my pics are showing no pattern whatsoever on age vs shedding. I have a pic of a  fairly nice 8 point taken after this buck that has his velvet still intact. I also have some spikey's taken almost a month ago and they had already shed. Seems with these cams that we may be able to dispell and/or prove some of the previous myths about these animals. I know one thing, there are many, many more bear around these parts in PA than I ever thought.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
WOW Gizz,

You sure do get the coyote photo's! Are you putting your cam's in special locations where you feel coyote's are? Or are there just coyote's all over Jersey Shore? I hope I am that lucky and get some coyote's on film! Take it easy.

gizz

Reaction score
Hi Bob, Most of my cams are placed within a few miles of Jersey Shore. After looking at the Negatives from that roll I can see several different outlines of what look to be Coyotes and those pics where of different days. I hope to take you up on the offer of hunting together someday for Coyotes (i've never done it much). Maybe after hunting season we'll get together and you can show me how to harvest a couple? Sound like something to do to kill the time during the dog days of Winter?
The land that I've been getting most pics on is private and/or hunting club land that I belong to so others would complain if I hunted them during Archery/Rifle seasons.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Hey Gizz,

I also wanted to let you know that there is a coyote contest held the weekend of Feb.23-or 23 (whatever the weekend date is around that time)It is run out of Mosquito Creek sportsmen club in Clearfield PA, heaviest three yotes pay, last year the 1st place winner got 8500.00, 2nd-6300.00, 3rd-5200.00, all coyotes registered get 200.00 off the bat, you can register via mail,10.00 entry fee, and all coyotes must be checked in Sunday at noon. It's something to think about with all of the coyotes you have running around up there! Sounds good, sometime over the winter we can get together and try to harvest one of those yotes you get photo's of. Take it easy.

Welby

Reaction score
Great pix, gizz!

I was reminded of another coyote picture from way back when we all first started hanging out together, just before the first picture contest.  It was from a camera that was mounted on a tree limb looking straight down instead of the usual position.

I don't remember who took that picture, do y'all?  Was it you gizz? Or maybe Eagle Eye or yotee'....or Johnny P or Blackwater...hmmmm, I don't remember.

gizz

Reaction score
Welby - i remember the pic but can't remember the user id. This cam is only about 4' off the ground but got tipped downward after a bear couldn't resist.

We really have too many bear around here(PA) and they need thinned. The Pa Game commission did or is doing a study concerning mortality of fawn's in PA's woods and is finding(surprisingly) that bears are putting a hurting on the fawns along with the Coyote's(not surprising).

robNhood

Reaction score
I was waiting for a shedding buck pic. I had mentioned earlier in the year that it would be neat to get some good shedding pics.

Good job!

Top Bottom