Sheds

kuff

Reaction score
I have been out some looking but so far havn't found any. We still have a bit of snow on the ground which I thought might male them easier to find. Maybe there aren't any on the ground yet. How about you guys?

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Not yet. Here in TN it should be soon.Had a buddy of mine tell me today he saw 2 bucks with thier racks this weekend.

:shocked-big-eyes:

trkyhntr

Reaction score
I found 1 a week ago. I seen a buck that still had his rack yesterday also.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I saw three bucks this weekend feeding in a food plot on my property. Two of them still had both of there horns but one of them had already dropped one side. Maybe any day now here in TN>

:shocked-big-eyes:

MBullism

Reaction score
Not yet here in MA.  The earliest I've found them here is the end of feb.  Still lookin'

M

woodseye

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum woodsman. We're going out sat. to look for sheds they have been finding them pretty steady now for several weeks up here. Snow is melting some so its time to walk the deer runs.

woods

woodsman

Reaction score
Thanks for having me Im definitely hooked to this site, thanks  to all Iv just finished my second trail cam in a month .:bounce-green:

sven

Reaction score
They've dropped em in central IL.  I found a BIG 4pt half, and an interesting double-beamed half that has 7 pts on it.  If the other half of this one is similar and with another year of age, this will definitely be one to look for next fall.  

The 4pt half is from an old guy that has eluded me so far.  I saw him 2 seasons ago, but well before shooting light.  I have half of his massive 10pt shed that I found last spring.  I never saw hime this past season but saw signs of him.  Then I fourn the shed this past weak.  Last year may have been his peak year for size and mass.  This year's shed is 1pt smaller and a little less massive, but still would have been a very well scoring 8 pointer.

kuff

Reaction score
Sven -
I hunt in Stark County which must be close to where you are. I havn't been able to go out in the last couple weeks but I was planning on going this weekend. Just my luck,now we are going to get 6-12" of snow dumped on us again later today. I found a huge shed last year about this time of year but the mice and squirrels had all the tips chewed off. Then I found a smaller one this year during shotgun season that hadn't been touched - go figure! Did you find yours on a trail?
Hopefully I can beat the rodents when the snow is gone.

sven

Reaction score
kuff,

You're pretty close to my hunting area.  We're in Knox county.  I found the sheds on trails.  I don't know that there is any rhyme or reason to when or where the drop, they just drop.  Have fun, and good luck.

jayber

Reaction score
Gonna show off some of those sheds there Sven, buddy??

kuff

Reaction score
Sven,
I had planned on going to the Illinois Deer and Turkey Classic over the weekend in Bloomington but unfortunately the weather had a different plan. They have some awesome racks there. Did you make it?
kuff

sven

Reaction score
I was at the classic Friday afternoon, before the storm.  There were about a dozen rack on display when I went through, but a lot were still coming in and being measured.

Here are the sheds that I mentioned.  The first one is the one I found last year.  The second one is what I believe to be from the same deer this year.  I think he's an old boy on the downhill side of antler growth.

The third one is the double beamed shed.  The rodents almost chewed through the second beam, and they already got the brow tine.  I hope to see him next year.

jayber

Reaction score
Excellent sheds you got there Sven and thanks for sharing.....That was quick!

SAW

Reaction score
A hunting buddy of mine was out walking his dog last week and found a nine pt. shed.A few yards further he found the match,it had seven pts. and two smaller pts. probably 3/4 in. long.I took pictures today,if I can figure out how,I'll post the picture.I haven't found any sheds myself this year.

Arkhunter

Reaction score
We found a small 4 point shed day before yesterday.

A buddy saw 5 bucks last week and all of them still had both sides.

Something just dont seem right with that.

I dont ever remember seeing bucks that hadnt shed by this time of the year.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I have been out looking since January, no luck yet. A friend has not been looking, and has found several. His beagle led him right to one, another friends black lab hid one of the sheds he found, and never saw it again! I guess I have found just as many not looking, as looking. I need one of those shed sniffing dogs!

kuff

Reaction score
Finally!!!!!!!
I have found 2 now. One from at least last year that was upside down and had its tines buried in the ground (looked like it was run over by a tractor ). The critters had it chewed up real good on what was still exposed. The other is a fresh one with 4 points. He'll be a shooter this year. Maybe I'll bump into him this fall. I've spent way too much time looking but it was all worth it. Also found an arrow with broadhead and 2 carcasses of yearling does. Nothing left but the feet and skulls. I bet the yotes are fat.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom